Volume integral in cylindrical coordinates

In summary: So z= (r^2 (1 + 2 sin^2θ))/R. So you actually have to integrate r dr dθ dz with the limits found but with z= (r^2 (1 + 2 sin^2θ))/R as the function.In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the volume inside a cylinder and between two equations, using cylindrical coordinates and evaluating a triple integral. The individual had difficulty with understanding the limits of integration and the function to be integrated, but ultimately arrived at the correct solution.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

OK, I thought once I knew what the question was asking I'd be able to do it. I was wrong!

Consider the volume V inside the cylinder x2 +y2 = 4R2 and between z = (x2 + 3y2)/R and the (x,y) plane, where x, y, z are Cartesian coordinates and R is a constant. Write down a triple integral for the volume V using cylindrical coordinates. Include the limits of integration (three upper and three lower). Evaluate the integral to determine the volume V in terms of R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched both equations, so I have a vague idea of what's going on. The z=... equation is an 'elliptic paraboloid', the other eqn a cylinder. I could find the volume by finding the volume of the cylinder and subtracting the volume above the paraboloid, although the limits for that might be complicated. That's what I'd do in 2D, never done a 3D question.

I think I have to find the z coordinate where they intersect, but I don't know how. And I'm supposed to convert to cylindrical, which is probably the only bit I can at least try, using x=rcos(θ), y=rsin(θ) and z=z:

r2cos2(θ) + r2sin2(θ) = 4R2
And
(r2cos2(θ) + 3r2sin2(θ) )/R = z

I think I could replace r with 2R? Then the equations become
cos2(θ) + sin2(θ) = 1
And
4Rcos2(θ) + 12Rsin2(θ)=z
Not sure where to go now!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:

Homework Statement

OK, I thought once I knew what the question was asking I'd be able to do it. I was wrong!

Consider the volume V inside the cylinder x2 +y2 = 4R2 and between z = (x2 + 3y2)/R and the (x,y) plane, where x, y, z are Cartesian coordinates and R is a constant. Write down a triple integral for the volume V using cylindrical coordinates. Include the limits of integration (three upper and three lower). Evaluate the integral to determine the volume V in terms of R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched both equations, so I have a vague idea of what's going on. The z=... equation is an 'elliptic paraboloid', the other eqn a cylinder. I could find the volume by finding the volume of the cylinder and subtracting the volume above the paraboloid, although the limits for that might be complicated. That's what I'd do in 2D, never done a 3D question.

I think I have to find the z coordinate where they intersect, but I don't know how. And I'm supposed to convert to cylindrical, which is probably the only bit I can at least try, using x=rcos(θ), y=rsin(θ) and z=z:

r2cos2(θ) + r2sin2(θ) = 4R2
And
(r2cos2(θ) + 3r2sin2(θ) )/R = z

I think I could replace r with 2R? Then the equations become
cos2(θ) + sin2(θ) = 1
And
4Rcos2(θ) + 12Rsin2(θ)=z
Not sure where to go now!

Your integration region ##R## is 3-dimentisonal:
[tex] R = \{ (x,y,z): x^2 + y^2 \leq 4 R^2, 0 \leq z \leq (x^2 + 3 y^2)/R [/tex]
In cylindrical coordinates ##x = r \cos \theta, y = r \sin \theta## these become
[tex] \begin{array}{l} r^2 \leq 4 R^2 \Longrightarrow 0 \leq r \leq 2 R \\
0 \leq z \leq r^2 (\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta)/R = r^2 (1 + 2 \sin^2 \theta)/R \\
0 \leq \theta \leq 2 \pi
\end{array}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes whatisreality
Ray Vickson said:
Your integration region ##R## is 3-dimentisonal:
[tex] R = \{ (x,y,z): x^2 + y^2 \leq 4 R^2, 0 \leq z \leq (x^2 + 3 y^2)/R [/tex]
In cylindrical coordinates ##x = r \cos \theta), y = r \sin \theta)## these become
[tex] \begin{array}{l} r^2 \leq 4 R^2 \Longrightarrow 0 \leq r \leq 2 R \\
0 \leq z \leq r^2 (\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta)/R = r^2 (1 + 2 \sin^2 \theta)/R \\
0 \leq \theta \leq 2 \pi
\end{array}
[/tex]
OK, I can follow that. And then the function I actually perform the volume integral on would be the z=... function, with those limits?

whatisreality said:
OK, I can follow that. And then the function I actually perform the volume integral on would be the z=... function, with those limits?

You tell me.

Likes whatisreality
Ray Vickson said:
You tell me.

Those are definitely the limits of the integration. And the function to be integrated obviously has to be in cylindrical coordinates too. So I think the function should be the z= function in cylindrical coordinates.

Because if I integrated the other function, that would just give me the volume of the cylinder. But I'm still not really confident with my answer!

Last edited:
whatisreality said:
Because if I integrated the other function, that would just give me the volume of the cylinder. But I'm still not really confident with my answer!

I am not sure what your issue is here. What was the answer you got? What detailed formulas did you use to get it? Did you do it two different ways and get two different answer? What, exactly, is the problem?

Likes whatisreality
Ray Vickson said:
I am not sure what your issue is here. What was the answer you got? What detailed formulas did you use to get it? Did you do it two different ways and get two different answer? What, exactly, is the problem?
Oh, no, haven't computed the integral yet. My issue was, initially, I didn't know what to do, which I now do. The answer I'm not confident with is the answer that I should be integrating the z= function, even though I'm nearly 100% sure it's right. But I'm nearly never confident in my answers, so that's fine! :)

I do know how to actually do the integral now that I have the limits though. Triple integral with respect to r dr dθ dz. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply by the way, thank you for your help!

Ray Vickson said:
Well, now I have done the integral, and I do actually still have a problem...

So since V=∫∫∫ r dr dθ dz, you integrate r dr dθ dz with the limits found?
Although actually, you have to rearrange the z= function to get an expression for r. Which would be

r = ## \sqrt{ \frac{zR}{1+2 \sin^2(\theta)}}##

Which I would not enjoy integrating. Or do you just make a function f(r, θ, z) by turning z = ##\frac{r^2(1+2\sin^2(\theta))}{R}## into

f(r, θ, z) =##\frac{r^2(1+2\sin^2(\theta))}{R} - z##? I don't actually know what to integrate.

Er, not just ∫∫∫ r dr dθ dz, I think that might be just for cylinders actually.

What is a volume integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A volume integral in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object that is defined in terms of cylindrical coordinates. It involves integrating a function over a specified region of space in order to find the total volume.

How is a volume integral in cylindrical coordinates different from a regular volume integral?

A volume integral in cylindrical coordinates is different from a regular volume integral because it takes into account the specific shape and orientation of the object being integrated. Cylindrical coordinates use a cylindrical coordinate system, which includes the variables of radius, azimuthal angle, and height, to describe the position of a point in space. This is different from the Cartesian coordinates used in a regular volume integral.

What is the formula for calculating a volume integral in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating a volume integral in cylindrical coordinates is ∫∫∫ f(r,θ,z) r dr dθ dz, where f(r,θ,z) is the function being integrated, r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle in the xy-plane, and z is the height.

What are some common applications of volume integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Volume integrals in cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as pipes, cylinders, and cones. They are also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the volume of a fluid in a cylindrical container or through a cylindrical pipe.

What are some tips for solving volume integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Some tips for solving volume integrals in cylindrical coordinates include carefully choosing the limits of integration for each variable, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and converting the function being integrated into cylindrical coordinates if necessary. It is also important to have a good understanding of cylindrical coordinates and how they relate to Cartesian coordinates.