Calculating Weight Savings of Aluminum Engine vs Cast Iron

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the weight savings of using aluminum instead of cast iron for a typical automobile engine. The process involves calculating the volume and mass of both materials and finding the difference between the two masses. The speaker is seeking help on how to approach the problem.
Suoh
I've never taken physics, and I'm not even sure this is physics. :S On the hint it mentions, think of freshmen physics, but I honestly have no clue. Could someone help me out on how to even start this problem?

Estimate the weight savings if a typical automobile engine (100 kg) is made of aluminum instead of cast iron. Assume the total volume required is the same. (The density of iron is 7.86 g/cm3, the density of aluminum is 2.70 g/cm3).

I want to say that, if the engine is made of iron to start and typically weighs 100kg, then i calculate the volume using density and mass given. Afterwords, you'd find the mass for aluminum using the same volume as cast iron, like the problem states, and it's density. Then just calculate the difference between the two masses. I'm not sure though. :S I'm so confused, so if that didn't make sense, I'm sorry. ~.~

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds right to me. Why the hesitation?

1. What is the difference in weight between an aluminum engine and a cast iron engine?

The weight difference between an aluminum engine and a cast iron engine can vary depending on the specific design and size. However, on average, an aluminum engine can weigh up to 50% less than a cast iron engine.

2. How is the weight savings of an aluminum engine calculated?

The weight savings of an aluminum engine can be calculated by comparing the weight of the aluminum engine to the weight of a similar cast iron engine. The difference between these two weights is the weight savings of the aluminum engine.

3. What are the benefits of using an aluminum engine over a cast iron engine?

The main benefit of using an aluminum engine over a cast iron engine is the weight savings. This can result in improved fuel efficiency, better performance, and reduced emissions. Additionally, aluminum engines can also dissipate heat more efficiently, resulting in better engine cooling and durability.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using an aluminum engine?

While aluminum engines offer many advantages, they do have some potential drawbacks. They can be more expensive to produce and may require more frequent maintenance. Additionally, they may not be as durable as cast iron engines and may be more prone to damage from high temperatures or certain types of fuel.

5. How does the weight savings of an aluminum engine impact overall vehicle weight?

The weight savings of an aluminum engine can have a significant impact on overall vehicle weight. Since the engine is one of the heaviest components of a vehicle, reducing its weight can result in a lighter overall vehicle. This can lead to improved handling, acceleration, and fuel efficiency.