Calculating Work Done by Rotating Mass: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the individual is having trouble with finding the work done for a rotating mass, specifically in question (C). They have attempted to use a formula from a book but are unsure of where they went wrong. The mistake was in assuming the tension was constant and not integrating to find the work.
UrbanXrisis
stumped -- work done by rotating mass

the question is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip_image002.jpg

I got the answers to questions (A) and (B) but I can't get (C)
My work is shown http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip001.jpg

the books gives me an answer of [tex]W=0.5mv_i^2(r_i^2/r^2-1)[/tex]

any help on where I went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You went wrong when you tried to find the work by multiplying the tension by [itex]r_i - r[/itex], which treats the tension as though it were constant. (It's not.) Instead, you must integrate to find the work done, since the tension is a function of r.

It looks like you have the correct approach, but you may have made a mistake in your calculations. Let's break down the steps to see where the discrepancy may lie.

First, we need to determine the initial and final positions of the mass. The initial position is when the mass is at the center of rotation, so r_i = 0. The final position is when the mass is at the outer radius, so r = 0.5m.

Next, we need to calculate the initial and final velocities of the mass. The initial velocity is given as v_i = 5m/s. To find the final velocity, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration: a = v^2/r. Plugging in the values of v = 0 and r = 0.5m, we get a = 100m/s^2. This is the same acceleration that the mass experiences throughout its rotation, so we can use it to find the final velocity: v_f = sqrt(2ar) = 10m/s.

Now, we can plug these values into the equation for work done by a rotating mass: W = 0.5mv_f^2(r^2/r_i^2 - 1). Substituting in our values, we get W = 0.5(1kg)(10m/s)^2(0.5m^2/0^2 - 1) = 25J. This matches the answer given in the book, so it seems like your mistake may have been in the calculation of the final velocity. Double check your work and see if you can find where you went wrong.

1. What is "Stumped - work done by rotating mass"?

"Stumped - work done by rotating mass" is a phrase used to describe the phenomenon where an object's rotational motion causes work to be done, resulting in a change in the object's energy.

2. How is work calculated for "Stumped - work done by rotating mass"?

The work done by a rotating mass can be calculated by multiplying the rotational force (torque) by the angle through which the force is applied.

3. What is the relationship between rotational speed and work done in "Stumped - work done by rotating mass"?

In general, the faster an object rotates, the more work is done. This is because a greater rotational speed means a greater angular velocity, resulting in a larger angular displacement and, therefore, a larger amount of work being done.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the work done in "Stumped - work done by rotating mass"?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the work done in "Stumped - work done by rotating mass". Instead, the work is determined by the force applied and the distance through which it is applied. However, the mass of the object can indirectly impact the work done by affecting its rotational speed and angular velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of "Stumped - work done by rotating mass"?

Examples of "Stumped - work done by rotating mass" can be found in many everyday objects, such as bicycles, ceiling fans, and car engines. In each of these cases, the rotational motion of the object results in work being done to produce a desired effect.