Calculating y-parameters (admittance matrix)

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Can you please clarify?In summary, Homework Equations state that if you have a two-part circuit and you want to transform it into a single circuit referred to the primary, you have to transfer the secondary parameters to the primary. You also have to calculate the current flowing through the secondary winding.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

7188e10ff3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f395f2eab6.png

e2135a5502.png

I keep getting something over 0 for my Y_11. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I thought the ideal transformer does not have an admittance or impedance matrix, which is why I should be getting something over 0 but the there is an answer that is provided to us.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step should be transferring the secondary impedances on the primary side.

cnh1995 said:
Your first step should be transferring the secondary impedances on the primary side.
You mean transform the coupled indcutors to its own separate impedances?

CoolDude420 said:
You mean transform the coupled indcutors to its own separate impedances?
No. Have you studied impedance transformation in transformers? There are two circuits in your problem (primary and secondary). Using impedance transformation, you obtain a single equivalent circuit (referred either to the primary or the secondary) so that you can remove the transformer from the circuit.

cnh1995 said:
No. Have you studied impedance transformation in transformers? There are two circuits in your problem (primary and secondary). Using impedance transformation, you obtain a single equivalent circuit (referred either to the primary or the secondary) so that you can remove the transformer from the circuit.
Hmm.

The only thing I recall is that if an impedance Z_L is connected across one side of an idea transformer, it's impedance on the other side is just
V_1/I_1 = (n_1/n_2)^2Z_L

CoolDude420 said:
Hmm.

The only thing I recall is that if an impedance Z_L is connected across one side of an idea transformer, it's impedance on the other side is just
V_1/I_1 = (n_1/n_2)^2Z_L
Yes. Using that, convert the two-part circuit into a single circuit referred to the primary. Make sure you change the receiving end voltage also, by a factor of n.

cnh1995 said:
Yes. Using that, convert the two-part circuit into a single circuit referred to the primary. Make sure you change the receiving end voltage also, by a factor of n.

Ah. That's perfect. I got the right answer for y_11. What do you mean by changing the receiving end voltage?

Okay, I'm kinda confused.
I have the following new circuit after replacing the transformer,
11305c4146.png

I'm trying to calculate y_21 = I_2/V_1 when V_2=0. But now, I_2 doesn't exist anymore since it was transformed?

CoolDude420 said:
What do you mean by changing the receiving end voltage?
V2 and I2 will change by a factor of n when you transfer them from one side to the other.

Here, you are transferring V2 to the primary side, so it will become V2*(1/n) and similarly I2 will become n*I2.

I am not sure what are the known parameters. Let’s say you know R1,R2,C,n, V2 and I2.What you have to calculate is Y1=I1/V1.
You have to transfer the secondary parameters to primary as cnh1995 proposed.
However, at first you have to calculate E2 and I21 –the current flowing through the secondary winding.
E2 =SUM of all voltage drop [split I2 in I21 and I22 ] and you have I21[V2,I2] and E2[I2,V2]. And now E1=nE2 and I1=I21/n. So you have V1 and Y1=I1/V1.

CoolDude420, are you still working on this?

upload_2017-10-24_14-41-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-24_14-41-17.png
    upload_2017-10-24_14-41-17.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 491
if E1/1=E2/n then:
upload_2017-10-24_14-46-45.png

Sorry.:frown:

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-24_14-45-13.png
    upload_2017-10-24_14-45-13.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 514
  • upload_2017-10-24_14-46-45.png
    upload_2017-10-24_14-46-45.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 515

1. What is the purpose of calculating y-parameters?

The y-parameters, also known as the admittance matrix, are used to describe the behavior of a linear electrical network. They represent the relationship between the currents and voltages in the network, and are useful for analyzing and designing circuits.

2. How do you calculate y-parameters?

The y-parameters can be calculated by using a set of simultaneous equations, where the unknown variables are the admittances of the different components in the network. These equations can be derived from the circuit's Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law.

3. What are the units of y-parameters?

The units of y-parameters are siemens (S) or mhos (℧), which are the units of admittance. This unit represents the reciprocal of the ohm (Ω) and is used to measure the ease with which a circuit allows current to flow.

4. How do y-parameters differ from other types of parameters?

Y-parameters are different from other types of parameters, such as z-parameters or h-parameters, because they specifically describe the admittance of a network. Z-parameters describe impedance, while h-parameters describe hybrid parameters that relate currents and voltages at different ports in a network.

5. What are some applications of y-parameters?

Y-parameters are commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, filters, and transmission lines. They can also be used in the modeling and simulation of communication systems, such as in RF and microwave engineering.