Calculation of the net force on a test charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 13-sided polygon and the forces acting on a test charge Q. The main question is why Q would move towards a particular charge q, and the conversation explores the concept of symmetry and equivalent changes to the system in order to explain this behavior. Eventually, it is determined that the net force on Q is equal to \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2} where r is the distance between Q and the missing charge q.
Quanta

Homework Statement

13charges.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex] \overrightarrow{F} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}\hat{r} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found to hard summarizing all forces directly adding each to other.

The solution of this problem is only matter of drawing the 13-sided polygon and forces acting on a test charge and summarizing them or there is something else ?

I think there is a trick to solve this...

Attachments

• 13charges.jpg
    13charges.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quanta said:
think there is a trick to solve this...
Quite so. Unfortunately it is hard to give a hint that does not equate to being the solution.
Maybe think of it from the perspective of different q charges. Why would Q move towards one rather than towards another?

Suppose you were to add the 13 vectors graphically by putting them tail to tip as you would with any graphical vector addition ...

haruspex said:
Maybe think of it from the perspective of different q charges. Why would Q move towards one rather than towards another?

It seems, I have come to the right answer. If I take one particular [itex]q[/itex] charge, all other charges are placed in the same way as if another [itex]q[/itex] charge was chosen, because the 13-sided polygon has a symmetry. So net force on a test [itex]Q[/itex] charge will be zero. am I right ?

Quanta said:
It seems, I have come to the right answer. If I take one particular [itex]q[/itex] charge, all other charges are placed in the same way as if another [itex]q[/itex] charge was chosen, because the 13-sided polygon has a symmetry. So net force on a test [itex]Q[/itex] charge will be zero. am I right ?
Right. kuruman's approach is good too.

But there is another problem that relates to this. Here is :

13charges_cont.jpg

In this case charges are not symmetrically placed as in previous example. But we have one symmetry if we draw a line from the [itex]Q[/itex] charge to the missing [itex]q[/itex] charge.

I have an answer :

13charges_cont_answ.jpg

Why towards the missing [itex]q[/itex] ? Why exactly [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}[/itex] ?

Attachments

• 13charges_cont.jpg
    13charges_cont.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 869
  • 13charges_cont_answ.jpg
    13charges_cont_answ.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 789
Quanta said:
But there is another problem that relates to this. Here is :

View attachment 213485
In this case charges are not symmetrically placed as in previous example. But we have one symmetry if we draw a line from the [itex]Q[/itex] charge to the missing [itex]q[/itex] charge.

I have an answer :

View attachment 213486

Why towards the missing [itex]q[/itex] not opposite to it ? Why exactly [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}[/itex] ?
Can you think of some other simple change that would have been equivalent to removing one charge q?

haruspex said:
Can you think of some other simple change that would have been equivalent to removing one charge q?

I tried with 5 sided regular polygon, removing one charge in the corner and adding graphically all force vectors I got net force vector directed toward missing charge. The same must be applied with 13 sided regular polygon without adding all vectors, from the figure we see that there is a symmetry represented by blue axis, forces from left and right sides cancel each other, so [itex]Q[/itex] should move toward the missing charge, because of gap between charges (and because of the more dense placement on the south side ?). The magnitude of force on [itex]Q[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}[/itex] where [itex]r = r_1 + r_2 + ... + r_{12}[/itex]. Is everything ok ? Any corrections ?

13charges_drawing.jpg

Attachments

• 13charges_drawing.jpg
    13charges_drawing.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 467
I already know answer from the solution manual :

13charges_cont_answ.jpg

I want to get this answer with the help of logical reasoning without using any geometric properties of adding all vectors.

Attachments

• 13charges_cont_answ.jpg
    13charges_cont_answ.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 369
Quanta said:
I tried with 5 sided regular polygon, removing one charge
Ok, but I said instead of removing a charge. What, equivalently, could you add?

I have an explanation. When 13 charges were present the system was balanced, the applied force on [itex]Q[/itex] from any charge is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}[/itex] this is a force to maintain equilibrium, after removing charge system becomes unbalanced, so the net force points toward the missing charge and is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}[/itex].

haruspex said:
What, equivalently, could you add?
add charge(s)... but where ? I'm interesting where you're pointing me.

Quanta said:
add charge(s)... but where ?
If you have a charge q at point P, what charge could you add which is electrically equivalent to removing the charge q?

haruspex said:
If you have a charge q at point P, what charge could you add which is electrically equivalent to removing the charge q?
Opposite to it.

Quanta said:
Opposite to it.
Yes, add a charge of -q at P. We know that the q charges balance each other at the centre, so what is the effect there of adding the -q charge?

haruspex said:
We know that the q charges balance each other at the centre, so what is the effect there of adding the -q charge?

System will become unbalanced and ##Q## will move toward the ##-q##.

Quanta said:
System will become unbalanced and ##Q## will move toward the ##-q##.
Assuming Q and q have the same sign, yes. But what is the magnitude of the force?

haruspex said:
But what is the magnitude of the force?

##Q ## and ##-q## have different signs, there will be attraction force between them with magnitude of ##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}##.

Quanta said:
##Q ## and ##-q## have different signs, there will be attraction force between them with magnitude of ##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}##.
Yes, except that you cannot say what the signs of Q and -q are. It could be that Q is positive and q is negative. Then Q and -q will have the same sign. However, you can write that there will be a force of attraction of ##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}##. If Q and q have the same sign then Q and -q will have opposite sign, so it is indeed attraction; if Q and q have opposite sign then the force will be a repulsion, but that's ok because now ##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}## will be negative, and saying an attraction of ##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}## is the same as saying a repulsion of |##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{qQ}{r^2}##|.

haruspex said:
Yes, except that you cannot say what the signs of Q and -q are...

I have no problems with signs, but thank you anyway. I appreciate your help.

Quanta said:
I have no problems with signs, but thank you anyway. I appreciate your help.
Well, you wrote
Quanta said:
Q and −q have different signs
which suggests to me you do have a misunderstanding. If Q is +e and q is -e then Q and -q have the same sign: they are both +e.

1. What is the net force on a test charge?

The net force on a test charge is the sum of all the forces acting on the charge. It is represented by the vector sum of the individual forces and can be calculated using the equation Fnet = qE + qv x B, where q is the charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the charge, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate the electric field and magnetic field for a test charge?

The electric field is calculated using the equation E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance between the source and the test charge. The magnetic field is calculated using the equation B = µ0I/2πr, where µ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance between the source and the test charge.

3. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are produced by stationary charges and exert a force on other charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving charges and exert a force on other moving charges. Electric fields are also dependent on the distance between the source and the test charge, while magnetic fields are dependent on both the distance and the velocity of the charges.

4. Can the net force on a test charge be zero?

Yes, the net force on a test charge can be zero if the individual forces acting on the charge are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This can happen when the charge is at rest or when it is moving at a constant velocity in a uniform electric and/or magnetic field.

5. What are the units for net force on a test charge?

The unit for net force on a test charge is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. This unit is derived from the fundamental units of mass (kg), distance (m), and time (s) in the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.