Calculations for accelerating particles in a Cyclotron

sss1
Homework Statement
Picture
Relevant Equations
mv^2/2, f=qB/2pim
For this question part d, KE=mv^2/2=q^2B^2r^2/2m (I rearranged B=mv/qr for v and subbed into mv^2/2). q^2b^2r^2/2m=2F_cyc^2r^2m(pi)^2
But when I subbed the values in I got 16.45MeV but the answer says 165keV instead. I'm not sure what went wrong?

What's a good explanation for part e also?
1699426550694.png
1699426556922.png

Physics news on Phys.org
sss1 said:
But when I subbed the values in I got 16.45MeV but the answer says 165keV instead. I'm not sure what went wrong?
I got the same answer as you. (Except I rounded mine to an appropriate number of significant figures!)

It looks like the official answer is wrong - probably because whoever did it used r =53mm instead of r=53cm.

sss1 said:
What's a good explanation for part e also?
As you probably know, ther rules here require you to show your own thoughts/attempt before guidance is offered.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and berkeman
Steve4Physics said:
As you probably know, ther rules here require you to show your own thoughts/attempt before guidance is offered
Well if the e field is strong, it’ll only take a few cycles until the particle leaves? Whereas if if the e field is weak, it’ll take a long time to leave the cyclotron, so the KE is the same regardless?

sss1 said:
Well if the e field is strong, it’ll only take a few cycles until the particle leaves? Whereas if if the e field is weak, it’ll take a long time to leave the cyclotron, so the KE is the same regardless?
You need to do better than that. What is an expression for the kinetic energy of the particle just before it exits? Is there an ##E## in it?

Likes MatinSAR, Steve4Physics and berkeman

1. How does a cyclotron accelerate particles?

A cyclotron uses a combination of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles in a circular path. The particles are injected into the center of the cyclotron and then are accelerated by alternating electric fields as they move towards the outer edges of the cyclotron.

2. What is the maximum energy that can be achieved in a cyclotron?

The maximum energy that can be achieved in a cyclotron is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the size of the cyclotron. Generally, the larger the cyclotron and the stronger the magnetic field, the higher the maximum energy that can be achieved.

3. How are particles selected and focused in a cyclotron?

Particles are selected and focused in a cyclotron using a combination of electric and magnetic fields. The electric field is used to select the desired particles and the magnetic field is used to focus the particles into a beam as they are accelerated.

4. What are the limitations of a cyclotron in terms of particle acceleration?

One of the main limitations of a cyclotron is that it can only accelerate particles up to a certain energy level. This is due to the fact that as particles gain energy, they also gain mass, which makes it more difficult for them to stay in the circular path of the cyclotron. Additionally, the size and cost of a cyclotron increase significantly as the desired energy level increases.

5. How are the particles extracted from a cyclotron?

Particles are extracted from a cyclotron by using a deflector plate, which is a charged plate that can be switched on and off. When the plate is turned on, it creates an electric field that deflects the particles out of the cyclotron and into a beamline for further use or analysis.