Calculations Lab: Heats of Fusion and Vaporization

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for feedback on their solution to Question #3, which involves converting units and calculating heat transfer. The expert provides input and suggests checking the units used for heat of fusion and vaporization. The final result should have units pertaining to heat only, such as Joules or calories.
pmalayavech

Homework Statement

Hi, I am answering Question #3, and using the formula and variables above scratch area as reference on how to answer the question.

Could someone please have a look and see if the problem I worked out came out correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted g = kg
I used the given variables, then I work out the problem, I made sure to do the paranthesis first before multiplying the variables in,
then converted back to kg and finally came with the answer

1827.88 cal/g heat transfer, did i use the correct unit? joules?
Any input would happily appreciated
12-04-2012101319PM.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're answer is in the right ballpark (but a bit low). You've specified your heats of fusion and vaporization with units of cal/kg, whereas the number magnitudes look like they're more suited to being kcal/kg or cal/g. Check them.

The final result should have units pertaining to heat only: either Joules or calories.

ok thanks,

What is the purpose of the Calculations Lab for Heats of Fusion and Vaporization?

The purpose of this lab is to calculate the heats of fusion and vaporization for a given substance. This lab helps to understand the concept of heat transfer and the energy required for a substance to change from one state to another.

What are heats of fusion and vaporization?

Heats of fusion and vaporization are the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state (fusion) or from a liquid to a gas state (vaporization) at a constant temperature and pressure.

How are heats of fusion and vaporization calculated?

Heats of fusion and vaporization are calculated using the formula Q = m * ΔH, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔH is the change in enthalpy. The change in enthalpy can be determined by measuring the temperature change of the substance during the phase change and using the specific heat capacity of the substance.

What factors can affect the value of heats of fusion and vaporization?

The value of heats of fusion and vaporization can be affected by the purity of the substance, the atmospheric pressure, and the temperature at which the measurement is taken. Other factors such as impurities or dissolved substances in the substance can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

Why are heats of fusion and vaporization important in the study of thermodynamics?

Heats of fusion and vaporization are important in the study of thermodynamics because they represent the amount of energy required for a substance to undergo a phase change. These values can also be used to determine the stability and behavior of a substance under different conditions, as well as the energy required for industrial processes such as melting and boiling.