Calculus-I: discontinuity of piecewise function HW problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem and solution involving a piecewise function. The function is continuous at the boundaries of the pieces and on the entire real line. The OP also considers simplifying the second function, but it does not provide any new insight in this particular problem. The conversation ends with the understanding that the solution is correct.
grey2q
Screenshot of my homework problem along with my solution so far. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly and if I am... if I'm answering correctly. Thank you. (EDIT: I made 1 small error with the piecewise definition. Ignore the f(x) before g(x).)

mathproblem1.png

Attachments

• mathproblem1.png
    mathproblem1.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,976
Physics news on Phys.org
grey2q said:
Screenshot of my homework problem along with my solution so far. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly and if I am... if I'm answering correctly. Thank you. (EDIT: I made 1 small error with the piecewise definition. Ignore the f(x) before g(x).)

View attachment 219851
What about where x < 0 or where x > 3? Your function is defined on those intervals, as well.

Also, the homework template you deleted is required here. In future posts, please don't delete this template.

grey2q said:

View attachment 219851
You have shown that the piecewise function is continuous at the boundaries of the pieces. If you are going to investigate the continuity of the function, you should also find out if there are any other discontinuities.

Mark44 said:
What about where x < 0 or where x > 3? Your function is defined on those intervals, as well.

Also, the homework template you deleted is required here. In future posts, please don't delete this template.

Thanks for the response.

I think I understand. So, would it make more sense for me to say that the piecewise function isn't discontinuous? Or that the piecewise function is continuous?

And what about my math? Am I going about this the correct way?

grey2q said:
I think I understand. So, would it make more sense for me to say that the piecewise function isn't discontinuous? Or that the piecewise function is continuous?
Right, either way. The function is continuous on the entire real line.

grey2q said:
And what about my math? Am I going about this the correct way?
Looks OK to me.

For more clarity I would see whether you could simplify the second function - might bring new insight. :oldwink:

epenguin said:
For more clarity I would see whether you could simplify the second function - might bring new insight. :oldwink:
It doesn't in this problem, but the OP might or might not have done this. The second function (the rational expression) is continuous at each point on the interval [0, 3]. @grey2q, did you consider this?

Mark44 said:
It doesn't in this problem, but the OP might or might not have done this. The second function (the rational expression) is continuous at each point on the interval [0, 3]. @grey2q, did you consider this?

I did.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I understand now.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different equations over different intervals. It may have different rules or equations that apply to different parts of its domain.

2. How do I identify discontinuities in a piecewise function?

Discontinuities in a piecewise function occur when there is a break or gap in the graph, or when the function has different values for the same input depending on which rule is being applied. To identify these points, you can look for jumps, holes, or asymptotes on the graph, or use algebraic methods to determine where the function is undefined.

3. Can a piecewise function have more than one discontinuity?

Yes, a piecewise function can have multiple discontinuities. These may occur at different points on the graph, or even at the same point if there is a jump or hole in the graph.

4. How do I solve for a discontinuity in a piecewise function?

To solve for a discontinuity in a piecewise function, you can first identify the type of discontinuity (jump, hole, or asymptote) and then use algebraic methods to find the limit of the function at that point. You can also use the definition of continuity to determine if the function is continuous or discontinuous at that point.

5. Why is it important to understand discontinuities in calculus?

In calculus, we use continuity to define and understand important concepts such as the derivative and integral. Discontinuities in a function can affect these calculations, so it is important to identify and understand them in order to accurately solve problems and interpret results in calculus.