Calculus II - Lengths of Curves - Hard

In summary: Find the arc length of the following curves on the given interval by integrating with respect to x.y=x^4/4+ 1/(8x^2); [1,2]The arc length is L = integral[1,2] sqrt(1+f'(x)^2) dx.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the following curves on the given interval by integrating with respect to x

y=x^4/4+ 1/(8x^2); [1,2]

Homework Equations

Let f have a continuous first derivative on the interval [a,b]. The length of the curve from (a,f(a)) to (b,f(b)) is

L = integral[a,b] sqrt(1+f'(x)^2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

y=x^4/4+ 1/(8x^2); [1,2]
I took the derivative and got

dy/dx = x^3 - 1/(4x^4)

I than square this and got

x^6 - 1/2 + 1/(16*x^6)

plunging into the formula I get

integral[1,2] sqrt(1/2 + x^6 + 1/(16*x^6)) dx

I have no idea were to go from here. I tried making several substitutions and than realized that there was nothing in my techniques of integration to evaluate this in any way or form. I plugged the indefinite integral into wolfram alpha to see what it got for the antiderivative and apparently it doesn't know how to integrate this neither.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+sqrt%281%2F2%2Bx^6%2B1%2F%2816x^6%29%29
well apparently it came up with a antiderivative it just has no steps to prove it to be correct when you click on show steps "(step-by-step results unavailable)". So I conclude that there is something really simple that I'm not seeing or something really complicated. This came from my textbook in -Applications of Integration-Lengths of Curves

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring 1/(16x6) out of x6 - 1/2 + 1/(16*x6) first.

x^6 - 1/2 + 1/(16*x6) = 1/(16*x^6)[16x^12-8x^6+1]
plugging into L = integral[a,b] sqrt(1+f'(x)^2) dx
yields
integral[1,2] sqrt(1+1/(16*x^6)[16x^12-8x^6+1])dx

wasn't sure what to do at this point so I wrote it all as the same fraction

integral[1,2] sqrt((16x^6+16x^12-8x^6+1)/16x^6)dx

simplified -> 1/sqrt(16x^6) = 1/(4x^3)

1/4 integral[1,2] sqrt(16x^6+16x^12-8x^6+1)/x^3 dx

I'm not sure how to proceed from here

I copied down the wrong part :blushing: I meant to say factor 1/(16x6) from x6 - 1/2 + 1/(16*x6)
You basically already did it though, so you would get sqrt(1/(16*x6)[16x12+8x6+1])

What can you do with 16x12+8x6+1?

thanks i got it factor it and then it's easy

If your y is *exactly* as written [y = x^4/4 + 1/8/x^2 --- note that a/b/c means a/(b*c) ], then your derivative is wrong, so you have the
wrong integral. The last term in dy/dx is -1/4/x^3, not your -1/4/x^4.

RGV

Related to Calculus II - Lengths of Curves - Hard

1. What is the purpose of calculating the length of a curve in calculus?

The length of a curve in calculus is used to determine the distance between two points on a curve. This is important in many real-world applications, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the distance between two locations on a map.

2. What is the formula for calculating the length of a curve?

The formula for calculating the length of a curve is the integral of the square root of 1 plus the derivative of the function squared. This can also be written as ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx.

3. How is the length of a curve typically represented in calculus?

The length of a curve is typically represented by the letter "s" or by the word "arc length" in calculus equations. This helps to differentiate it from other variables in the equation.

4. What are some common challenges when calculating the length of a curve?

Some common challenges when calculating the length of a curve include finding the derivative of the function, determining the limits of integration, and simplifying the integral expression. Additionally, some curves may have complex shapes that require more advanced calculus techniques to calculate their length accurately.

5. How is the length of a curve used in real-world applications?

The length of a curve is used in various real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and geometry. It can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object, determine the length of a river or coastline, or even measure the circumference of a circle.