Calculus III (help sketching graph)

In summary, the conversation involves sketching a curve with a given vector equation and indicating the direction in which 't' increases. The person has identified a point on the curve and the vector <1, -1, 2> but is unsure if they are correct and how to sketch the graph. They also ask about the parametric equations and how to graph a vector equation in three-dimensional space.
Ric-Veda

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve with the given vector equation. Indicate with an arrow the direction in with 't' increases

r(t)=<t, 2-t, 2t>

Homework Equations

parametric equation (can't type the equation, too confusing to use the template)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have <1, -1, 2> and points (0, 2, 0). Am I even correct? And how do I sketch the graph. I know it's suppose to be in the xyz graph, but how do I graph the vector equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ric-Veda said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve with the given vector equation. Indicate with an arrow the direction in with 't' increases

r(t)=<t, 2-t, 2t>

Homework Equations

parametric equation (can't type the equation, too confusing to use the template)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have <1, -1, 2> and points (0, 2, 0). Am I even correct? And how do I sketch the graph. I know it's suppose to be in the xyz graph, but how do I graph the vector equation?
What does the vector <1, -1, 2> represent?
The point (0, 2, 0) corresponds to t = 0, right? To get a reasonable graph you're going to need way more than 1 point.
For the parametric equations, what are x(t), y(t), and z(t)? All three are linear equations in t.

The graph of your vector function will be in three-dimensional space. Have you drawn any surfaces or curves in 3D?

1. What is Calculus III and why is it important?

Calculus III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It is important because it allows us to understand and analyze more complex mathematical concepts and models, and is essential for many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is Calculus III different from Calculus I and II?

Calculus III builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I and II, but focuses on functions of multiple variables instead of just one. This requires an understanding of vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and other techniques that are not covered in the first two courses.

3. How can I sketch a graph of a multivariable function?

To sketch a graph of a multivariable function, start by setting one of the variables to a constant and plotting the resulting curve on the corresponding axis. Then, repeat this process for the other variables. This will give you a set of curves that represent the function in different planes. You can then visualize the shape of the function by looking at the intersection of these curves.

4. What are some common applications of Calculus III?

Calculus III has many practical applications, such as optimizing functions with multiple variables, finding volumes and areas of irregular shapes, and calculating rates of change for systems with multiple variables. It is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus III?

To succeed in Calculus III, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts from Calculus I and II. It is also helpful to practice with problems that involve multiple variables, and to develop a strong visualization and spatial reasoning skills. It is also important to seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with the material.