Calculus problem about population count

In summary, Calculus is used to solve population count problems by modeling and analyzing population growth and decline over time. It can be used to study both discrete and continuous population growth, with discrete growth occurring in distinct intervals and continuous growth described by differential equations. Calculus can also help determine the carrying capacity of a population by finding the equilibrium point of the growth equation. It can be used to study population dynamics in different species and understand the impact of environmental factors on population growth by incorporating them into growth equations.
munkhuu1

Homework Statement

Calculus question about tag and recapture?
Here is the problem, i tried to do most of it but don't understand what its asking on c and d.
Tag and recapture is used to estimate populations of animals in the wild. First, sample of animals are captured, number=n. They are tagged and released back into the wild. Sometime later, another sample of animals are captured, number=s. Of the s animals in the second sample t are found to be tagged. The estimate of total animal N is ofund from N/n=s/t.
Supposed n=100, s=60, t=15. In the second sample 1/4 of the animals were tagged.
a) what is the total animal population based on these results.
i got 400
b) what is dN/dt of n=100 s=60 t=15
i got -26.67 idk what the negative is saying. i said N=ns/t and dN/dt= -st/t^2 i hope its right.
c) what is the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was found to be tagged. express your answer in whole animals. I don't really understand the equation so i don't know what to do.
i just substitued the 100 for n and 61 for s and 16 for t for the dN/dt= -st/t^2 equation and got -23.83
d) what is the the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was not found to be tagged. This is almost the same as c so i don't know.
Please help me atleast understand what c and d is asking. and how to start it.

Physics news on Phys.org
munkhuu1 said:

Homework Statement

Calculus question about tag and recapture?
Here is the problem, i tried to do most of it but don't understand what its asking on c and d.
Tag and recapture is used to estimate populations of animals in the wild. First, sample of animals are captured, number=n. They are tagged and released back into the wild. Sometime later, another sample of animals are captured, number=s. Of the s animals in the second sample t are found to be tagged. The estimate of total animal N is ofund from N/n=s/t.
Supposed n=100, s=60, t=15. In the second sample 1/4 of the animals were tagged.
a) what is the total animal population based on these results.
i got 400
Yes, that is correct.

b) what is dN/dt of n=100 s=60 t=15
i got -26.67 idk what the negative is saying. i said N=ns/t and dN/dt= -st/t^2 i hope its right.
You mean, I think, dN/dt= -sn/t^2. Now, evaluate that at n=100, s= 60, t= 15.

c) what is the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was found to be tagged. express your answer in whole animals. I don't really understand the equation so i don't know what to do.
i just substitued the 100 for n and 61 for s and 16 for t for the dN/dt= -st/t^2 equation and got -23.83
"s" was the number of animals in the second saple and t was the number tagged.
"if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was found to be tagged"
So replace s with s+ 1 and t with t+ 1. That is, s= 61 and t= 16, just as you say.

d) what is the the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was not found to be tagged. This is almost the same as c so i don't know.
Yes, it is the same. Now s= s+1= 61 but t remains 15.

Please help me atleast understand what c and d is asking. and how to start it.

thank you very much, but just few questions. Why is the answer for c and d are negative? and when it says express your answer in whole animals, i subtract 23.83 from 26.67 and get 2.84. Is the answer 2 or 3?

(c) and (d) ask for derivatives- the rate at which the populations are changing. If those derivatives are negative, it means the populations are declining. "2.84" is closer to 2 than to three so would be rounded up to 3.

Related to Calculus problem about population count

1. How is Calculus used to solve population count problems?

Calculus, specifically differential equations, is used to model and analyze population growth and decline over time. It allows us to create equations that describe the change in population over time, and then use these equations to predict future population counts.

2. What is the difference between discrete and continuous population growth?

Discrete population growth occurs in distinct, separate intervals, such as the number of births or deaths in a year. Continuous population growth is modeled using differential equations and describes the rate of change in population over time, taking into account factors like birth and death rates.

3. How do you determine the carrying capacity of a population using Calculus?

The carrying capacity is the maximum population size that an environment can sustain. In Calculus, we can determine the carrying capacity by finding the equilibrium point of the population growth equation, where the rate of growth equals zero.

4. Can Calculus be used to study population dynamics in different species?

Yes, Calculus can be used to study population dynamics in different species. The principles of population growth and decline apply to all living organisms, and Calculus allows us to model and analyze these changes in populations over time.

5. How does Calculus help us understand the impact of environmental factors on population growth?

Calculus allows us to incorporate environmental factors, such as resource availability and competition, into population growth equations. By examining how these factors affect the rate of change in population, we can better understand their impact on population growth and decline.