Calculus Proofs Help Thanks

In summary, these are some proofs that a student is trying to do. They are not sure if they have the right approach or not, and would appreciate any help they can get.
Psybroh
Hi, I've been trying a couple of proofs that my calc teacher gave me, but I'm not sure if I have the right approach or not.

1) Prove that the degree of the depressed polynomial is exactly one less than the degree of the original polynomial.

- For this proof, all I can come up is the face that since a "x" has been removed from P(x), the depressed polynomial Q(x) has 1 less "x" in each of its terms, and therefore has one less degree. is this correct? I cannot seem to express this in terms of variables and numbers.

2) Factor P(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 16x + 20 into the product of a constant and 3 linear factors.

- Can I factor out a 4 and use that as a constant?

3) Show that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 + ax - mx^2 - a^2 + amx = 0, without using synthetic division.

- Do I just plug in x=a into the polynomial and show that the entire thing does come out to zero, or...?

4) Given that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 - ax - mx - mx^2 + a^2 + am + amx = 0, use synthetic division to factor that eight-term polynomial into the product of two factors: one in linear x, one quadratic in x.

- I have NO idea how to even start this... any help would be great! lol

Well, these are it. I have some ideas to solve them, but I'm not sure if they can really be considered proofs. Any help and suggestions would be great! Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Psybroh said:
Hi, I've been trying a couple of proofs that my calc teacher gave me, but I'm not sure if I have the right approach or not.

1) Prove that the degree of the depressed polynomial is exactly one less than the degree of the original polynomial.

- For this proof, all I can come up is the face that since a "x" has been removed from P(x), the depressed polynomial Q(x) has 1 less "x" in each of its terms, and therefore has one less degree. is this correct? I cannot seem to express this in terms of variables and numbers.

2) Factor P(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 16x + 20 into the product of a constant and 3 linear factors.

- Can I factor out a 4 and use that as a constant?

Of course not. 4 is not a common factor. Use the rational roots theorem and synthetic division.

3) Show that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 + ax - mx^2 - a^2 + amx = 0, without using synthetic division.

- Do I just plug in x=a into the polynomial and show that the entire thing does come out to zero, or...?

Did you try that? Did it work?

4) Given that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 - ax - mx - mx^2 + a^2 + am + amx = 0, use synthetic division to factor that eight-term polynomial into the product of two factors: one in linear x, one quadratic in x.

- I have NO idea how to even start this... any help would be great! lol

Collect terms on powers of x and use synthetic division by (x-a).

(1) ... what is the definition of a depressed polynomial?
Most proofs start out with a statement of definition.

(2) ... what happens when you try?
(As LCKurtz points out, 4 is not a common factor. Had you tried, you'd have got your answer.)
Sometimes the only way to identify the right path is to follow it for a while.
You would be better to try to factorize the polynomial first.

(3) ... what is the definition of "root of a polynomial"?
The comment here is a combination of those for (1) and (2) ... try it and see.

(4) if "a" is a root of the polynomial, then "(x-a)" is a factor.
How would you normally go about factorizing a polynomial?

This is giving me deja-vu ... anyway, LCKurtz has given you some good clues if you don't know some of the theory. It is all stuff you can look up. Let us know how you got on.

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It has two main branches: differential calculus, which studies the rate of change of a function, and integral calculus, which studies the accumulation of quantities.

Why are proofs important in Calculus?

Proofs are important in Calculus because they allow us to rigorously justify the validity of mathematical statements. In Calculus, proofs help us to understand the concepts and theorems, and to apply them correctly in solving problems.

What are the basic rules for writing Calculus proofs?

The basic rules for writing Calculus proofs include clearly stating the given information, defining any new variables, using logical reasoning and mathematical concepts, and providing a clear and concise conclusion that follows from the given information and logic.

How can I improve my skills in writing Calculus proofs?

To improve your skills in writing Calculus proofs, it is important to practice regularly, understand the fundamental concepts and theorems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to read and analyze well-written proofs to gain a better understanding of the structure and logic behind them.

Can you give an example of a Calculus proof?

Sure, here is an example of a proof for the Mean Value Theorem in Calculus: Let f(x) be a continuous function on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). Then, there exists a point c in (a,b) such that f'(c) = (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a). This can be proved using the Intermediate Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem.