Caluculate Voltage Drop Due to Conductor Resitence on a Circut with an A/C Motor

In summary: Keep up the good work! In summary, the conversation discusses a problem presented to a professor in the HVAC and Electrical department. The student has found errors in the material being taught and is confused about electric motors. They discuss a circuit with voltage and resistors, as well as motor specifications. The student calculates the total voltage drop due to line resistance and questions the consistency of the motor's resistance at full load. The response acknowledges the student's critical thinking and clarifies that the motor's resistance will vary depending on operating conditions. The student's calculations are deemed correct and they are encouraged to continue questioning and analyzing the material.
eyust
I have written this problem myself to present to my professor. He teaches HVAC and Electrical for the department of Construction Management. Some of the problems and solutions we do in class are inconsistent with the material I was taught in physics. He really appreciates my criticism and I actually found a few errors in the material he has been teaching for the past 15 years. I am, however, a bit confused when it comes to electric motors.

Homework Statement

In this problem you are given a simple circuit with a voltage of 120v. It has three resistors in series. R1, R2, and R3. R1 and R2 is your line resistance. R3 is http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Direct-Drive-Blower-Motor-3LU91?Pid=search" .

Given:

Vt across entire circuit is = 120v
R1 = R2 = .25 ohms
Single phase A/C circut
PF= 1

Motor Specs:
1 HP
Voltage: 115v
Full load Amps: 14.7
Hz: 60
Single Phase motor
Efficiency: High

Calculate total Voltage drop due to R1 and R2 when the motor is at a constant full load

2. Homework Equations

R=V/I

Rs= R1+ R2 + R3 +...

I=V/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Use R=V/I to find the resistance applied to the circuit when the motor is at full load.

115/14.7= 7.823 ohms

Find total R

.25 + .25 + 7.823 = 8.323 ohms = Rt

***Will this always be the resistance applied by the motor at full load if only voltage across the motor changes? Based on the spec of the motor and properties of A/C motors is this a correct assumption?***

Use Rt and Vt to calculate It

It = Vt/Rt

120/8.323= 14.418 amps = total current

Use Total Current, R1 and R2 to calculate voltage drop due to line resistance.

R1 + R2 = Rline

Rline = .25 + .25 = .5ohms

Voltage drop = It * Rline

Voltage drop = 14.418 * .5 = 7.209V

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, it is great that you are questioning and critically analyzing the material being taught in class. This shows that you have a strong understanding of the concepts and are able to identify errors or inconsistencies.

In terms of your question about the resistance applied by the motor at full load, it is important to note that the resistance of the motor will vary depending on the operating conditions. In this case, the motor is at full load and therefore the resistance will be different compared to when it is not at full load. The resistance will also vary based on other factors such as temperature and age of the motor.

Your calculation for the total voltage drop due to R1 and R2 when the motor is at full load is correct. However, it is important to note that this is not the only voltage drop in the circuit. There will also be a voltage drop across the motor itself, which will depend on its own internal resistance and the amount of current flowing through it.

Overall, your approach and calculations are correct. Keep questioning and analyzing the material in order to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.

Related to Caluculate Voltage Drop Due to Conductor Resitence on a Circut with an A/C Motor

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a conductor due to the resistance of the material.

2. How does conductor resistance affect voltage drop?

Conductor resistance refers to the opposition of the material to the flow of electricity. The higher the resistance, the greater the voltage drop will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating voltage drop due to conductor resistance?

The formula for calculating voltage drop due to conductor resistance is V = I x R, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the conductor.

4. How does an A/C motor impact voltage drop on a circuit?

An A/C motor draws a large amount of current when it starts up, which can cause a significant voltage drop on the circuit due to the resistance of the conductors.

5. How can voltage drop due to conductor resistance be minimized in a circuit with an A/C motor?

To minimize voltage drop, it is important to use conductors with lower resistance and to properly size the conductors based on the current draw of the A/C motor. Additionally, using a larger wire size can help reduce voltage drop. Regular maintenance and checking for any loose connections can also help prevent excessive voltage drop.