Can a 2-Directional Switch Using 2 SPDT Relays Function as an H-Bridge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using two 12v coil relays to create a 2-directional switch or h-bridge, with the triggering coming from a 555 timer. The OP's circuit seems to be working at times but not consistently. The experts suggest using a single DPDT relay instead and clarify the difference between SPDT and DPDT relays. The conversation ends with the OP seeking confirmation on whether their current configuration is feasible as a h-bridge.
ramonegumpert
Hi experts,

is it possible to have a simple 2-directional switch using just 2 12v coil relays (having normally opened and closed contacts)? Is this equivalent to a h-bridge or must a h-bridge be used? The triggering is from a 555 to the relay coils.

I tested my circuit but it does not seem to switch polarity even though the relays switched! This resulted in only 1 directional spinning for the half cycle and then the in the other half cycle the motor halts which i suspect is due to shortcuiting.

But the circuit seemed to work at times bi-directionally. So, this is why i like to confirm if 2 relays can perform a h-bridge.

regards
Ramone

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a single DPDT (double pole double throw) relay or equivalent wired as a cross (X) switch. There are two types of DPDT relays; make before break, and break before make. You need the latter.

Bob S

Sorry Bob S and forummers,

I think my relay is of type Single Pole Double Throw, not DPDT. My appologies.
Here is how it looks like : http://www.flickr.com/photos/46348930@N03/?saved=1

There are 2 contact points for the switch (common) : one is the normally opened and the other is the normally closed.

I am using 2 spdt relays as my h-bridge controlled by a 555.

I wish to confirm that this is feasible as a h-bridge. Currently, my configuration is not working properly and only momentarily does it oscillate between 2 directions.

Thanks.

1. How does a DC motor 2 direction switch work?

A DC motor 2 direction switch is a device that allows you to change the direction of a DC motor. It works by reversing the polarity of the electrical current going into the motor, causing it to rotate in the opposite direction.

2. What is the purpose of a DC motor 2 direction switch?

The purpose of a DC motor 2 direction switch is to control the movement and direction of a DC motor. This is useful in various applications such as robotics, electric vehicles, and industrial machinery.

3. Can I use any DC motor with a 2 direction switch?

Yes, as long as the DC motor is compatible with the voltage and current requirements of the switch. It is important to check the specifications of both the motor and the switch before using them together.

4. How do I wire a DC motor 2 direction switch?

The wiring process may vary depending on the specific switch and motor you are using. Generally, you will need to connect the positive and negative terminals of the switch to the corresponding terminals of the motor. It is recommended to consult the instruction manual or seek professional help for proper wiring.

5. Are there any safety precautions I need to take when using a DC motor 2 direction switch?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when using any electrical device. Make sure to disconnect the power source before wiring or making any changes to the switch. Also, be cautious of the voltage and current requirements to prevent damage to the motor or switch.