Can a 63mm Bore Pneumatic Ram handle the required weight at an angled position?

In summary, the conversation is about a beginner in Physics who needs help calculating the weight capacity of a 63mm Bore Pneumatic Ram at an angle. They have attached a sketch of the layout and have done calculations for the weight capacity at a 90 degree angle, but are stuck when the ram is at an angle. The expert suggests using basic trigonometry to write the force as a sum of components and requests a more complete description and a detailed sketch to provide further assistance. They also mention using the principle of virtual work as a potential solution.
AnnekeL
Hey

So I am still a beginner in Physics and work asked me today to calculate if a 63mm Bore Pneumatic Ram will do the required job. Anyway, so I know how to calculate the weight capacity the ram can handle if it is at a 90 deg angle however if the ram is on an angle then I am stuck. I need to get back to them today and as a part student, I am finding this hard. any help would be awesome :)

I have attached a sketch of the layout and how i calculate the weight capacity calculations i have done.

Attachments

• 20170801_134908.jpg
    20170801_134908.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 504
  • 20170801_134853.jpg
    20170801_134853.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
AnnekeL said:
Anyway, so I know how to calculate the weight capacity the ram can handle if it is at a 90 deg angle however if the ram is on an angle then I am stuck.
Force is a vector. Do you know how to write a vector as a sum of components?

You meaning like a resultant force where Fnet=F1+F2?

AnnekeL said:
You meaning like a resultant force where Fnet=F1+F2?
Sort of, but working backwards in this case: you know the total force already and you need to write it as the sum F1 and F2, where one of these is vertical and one is horizontal. You'll need some basic trigonometry (what ##\sin## and ##\cos## mean) as well.

In your diagram what is fixed and what is moving and in which directions ?

If you can describe the problem more completely I'm sure we can help you solve it . A realistic pictorial sketch would be very useful .

Last edited:
As an old man, I'd like to second Nidum's request, and add that the figure needs to be more sharp with darker lines.

From the little I could see, this looks like a prime application for the principle of virtual work.

Related to Can a 63mm Bore Pneumatic Ram handle the required weight at an angled position?

1. Can a 63mm bore pneumatic ram handle the required weight at an angled position?

The answer to this question depends on several factors such as the weight of the object, the angle at which it will be positioned, and the strength and capacity of the specific pneumatic ram being used. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or perform a test to determine the suitability of the ram for the specific application.

2. How do I calculate the required weight capacity for a 63mm bore pneumatic ram at an angled position?

To calculate the required weight capacity, you will need to consider the angle at which the ram will be positioned, the weight of the object it will be supporting, and the force required to maintain the object at the desired angle. You can then use basic physics equations, such as Newton's second law of motion, to determine the necessary weight capacity for the pneumatic ram.

3. What are the potential risks of using a 63mm bore pneumatic ram at an angled position?

Using a pneumatic ram at an angled position may pose certain risks, such as instability or structural damage. It is important to carefully consider the weight and angle of the object, as well as the strength and capacity of the ram, to ensure safe and effective operation. Regular maintenance and inspection of the equipment is also recommended to prevent accidents or failures.

4. Are there any design considerations to keep in mind when using a 63mm bore pneumatic ram at an angled position?

Yes, there are several design considerations to keep in mind when using a pneumatic ram at an angled position. These may include the angle and positioning of the ram in relation to the object, the force required to maintain the object at the desired angle, and the potential effects of vibration or external forces on the ram's stability. It is important to carefully plan and test the design to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. Can a 63mm bore pneumatic ram be adjusted to accommodate different angled positions?

Yes, most pneumatic rams can be adjusted to accommodate different angled positions. This can be done by adjusting the air pressure or changing the mounting position of the ram. However, it is important to ensure that the ram is capable of handling the required weight and force at the new angle, and to make any necessary design adjustments to prevent stability or safety issues.