How to calculate weight and force required to lift a flap?

In summary, the force needed to lift a flap on a pivot will be a function of the weight of the flap, the distance from the pivot to the chain, and the angle at which the flap is lifted.
OJT
Hi all,I would like to know how to calculate the force required to lift a flap (or drawbridge if you proffer) of known weight that is on a pivot and where the pull chain (let’s say it’s a chain) connects to the flap at a known distance from the pivot.I’d also like to be able to calculate the effective weight it would exert when resting at it’s top (denoted by a blue dot on the drawing)I’m no engineer or mathematicians but I do have CAD softwear so can measure angles (as shown on the attached drawing) so the simplest methods - i.e. without any trigonometry if possible - would be great! I have been unable to find similar explanations online with equations that the person un-versed in long equations can follow that easily(!) – although am happy to learn if there is no simple solution!
So the flap / drawbridge:

- Is 3.2m long

- Has a weight of 25kg.

- Pivots around the point marked ‘p

- The ‘chain’ connects to the flap at a distance of 2m from the pivot / or 1.2m from the free end

- All (I hope) relevant angles are shown on the drawing.The problems to solve:
  1. How can you calculate the force required to lift the flap from horizontal to 45 degrees (A) and from 45 degrees to 12 degrees (B)?
  2. How would you calculate the weight exerted on the resting point at the top of the flap (as denoted by the blue dot). 'C' denotes the direction I think this force would be acting in.

Any help or pointers will be fantastic so thanks in advance,
Oliver

Attachments

• Effective weight.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,214
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well you need to actually look at Torque. T=RxF (or R*F*sin(angle in between)) and sin(angle) will effectively be 1 assuming you build it so the rope makes a 90 degree angle with the flap. The weight of the rock needs to be able to overcome any weight torques acting on the bridge (which will not always be 90 degrees). However, the Torque of gravity on the bridge will only decrease as you rotate the bridge upwards, so as long as the bridge torque (which, by the way acts through the center of mass) while the bridge is down, it will be sufficient (assuming no friction on the pulley).

1. How do I calculate the weight of the flap?

To calculate the weight of the flap, you will need to know its mass (in kilograms) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The weight can then be calculated using the formula weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a measurement of the force of gravity on an object, while force is a measurement of the push or pull on an object. Weight is always directed towards the center of the Earth, while force can be applied in any direction.

3. How do I calculate the force required to lift the flap?

The force required to lift the flap will depend on its weight and the angle at which it is being lifted. You can use the formula force = weight x sine(angle) to calculate the force required at a specific angle.

4. What factors can affect the weight and force required to lift a flap?

The weight and force required to lift a flap can be affected by the mass and size of the flap, the angle at which it is being lifted, and the surrounding air pressure and temperature. Other factors may also include the material of the flap and any external forces acting on it.

5. Can I use a scale to measure the weight of the flap?

Yes, a scale can be used to measure the weight of the flap as long as it is able to accurately measure the mass in kilograms. Keep in mind that the weight may change depending on the location and strength of the gravitational force.