Can a 6M NaCl Solution Be Used as an Electrolyte for a Low-Tech Supercapacitor?

In summary, super capacitors using aqueous electrolytes operate below 1.2 volts. Commercial supercapacitors use a higher voltage to overcome the lower capacitance of aqueous electrolytes.
bkhan10000
Hey guys,

Currently I am trying to build a low tech super capacitor based on the working the principle. Right now I am using a single beaker with two aluminium foil positive and negative electrodes with an electrolyte of 6M NaCl solution. The power source is a new-ish triple-A battery running at 1.4 volts. What happens is gas evolves on the electrodes. How do I keep this from happening? I understand that I must change the electrolyte but for what reason? Also will charge be able to be stored on the electrodes with a voltage below 1.23v using the current electrolyte? Thanks and appreciate any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capacitors are formed when two conductors are separated by an insulator. NaCl is not an insulator.

Super-capacitors (if I understand the theory; not sure about that) allow a very small current to flow through the insulator making each carbon particle to act as it's own conductor. This way the total area of the capacitor is the sum of all the millions of carbon particles, and the distance between them is nearly zero. This leads to large capacitance.

The carbon dust should be as fine as possible. The insulator liquid should nearly, but not completely, block current flow. (If the current is completely blocked, a proper voltage gradient won't form between the particles and most of them won't be part of the capacitor.) Obviously more current flow means more losses. (It can also lead to chemical reactions on the electrodes. :oldwink: )

Likes bkhan10000
Regular supercapacitors use KOH as their electrolyte. That has higher conductivity than NaCl solution. For a supercapacitor, the electrolyte must be ionically conductive and not conduct the electrons from the anode to the cathode and thus maintaining charge separation. I think really my question is how do conventional supercapacitors achieve voltages of 2.35 volts when the breakdown voltage of aqueous electrolytes are 1.23v?

Last edited:
Actually I was just coming across this: http://diygadgets.co.za/diy-supercapacitor-home-made-super-battery/

Basically this is instructions to make a supercapacitor using an aqueous electrolyte and it too operates only below 1.2 volts. This bodes the question for how do commercially available supercapacitors produce over 1.2 volts with aqueous electrolytes? Is there something I am missing here? If anyone trusts it here's a tid bit about electrolytes from Wikipedia's supercapacitor page for someone who can maybe explain? : Aqueous[edit]
Water is a relatively good solvent for inorganic chemicals. Treated with acids such as sulfuric acid (H
2SO
4), alkalis such as potassium hydroxide (KOH), or salts such as quaternary phosphonium salts, sodium perchlorate (NaClO
4), lithium perchlorate (LiClO
4) or lithium hexafluoride arsenate (LiAsF
6), water offers relatively high conductivity values of about 100 to 1000 mS/cm. Aqueous electrolytes have a dissociation voltage of 1.15 V per electrode (2,3 V capacitor voltage) and a relatively low operating temperature range. They are used in supercapacitors with low energy density and high power density.

Organic[edit]
Electrolytes with organic solvents such as acetonitrile, propylene carbonate, tetrahydrofuran, diethyl carbonate, γ-butyrolactone and solutions with quaternary ammonium salts or alkyl ammonium salts such as tetraethylammonium tetrafluoroborate (N(Et)
4BF
4[68]) or triethyl (metyl) tetrafluoroborate (NMe(Et)
3BF
4) are more expensive than aqueous electrolytes, but they have a higher dissociation voltage of typically 1.35 V per electrode (2.7 V capacitor voltage), and a higher temperature range. The lower electrical conductivity of organic solvents (10 to 60 mS/cm) leads to a lower power density, but since the energy density increases with the square of the voltage, a higher energy density.

bkhan10000 said:
Basically this is instructions to make a supercapacitor using an aqueous electrolyte and it too operates only below 1.2 volts. This bodes the question for how do commercially available supercapacitors produce over 1.2 volts with aqueous electrolytes? Is there something I am missing here? If anyone trusts it here's a tid bit about electrolytes from Wikipedia's supercapacitor page for someone who can maybe explain? :

The Wikipedia text you quoted says 1.2v per electrode with 2 electrodes. It forms two capacitors in series. Go back and read the whole Wikipedia article on supercapacitors.

anorlunda said:
The Wikipedia text you quoted says 1.2v per electrode with 2 electrodes. It forms two capacitors in series. Go back and read the whole Wikipedia article on supercapacitors.

I understand. Now how do make that work in a supercapacitor? If you read the instructions to build one I've provided, you have the basic design of a supercapacitor with two electrodes. According two what your picking from the wiki passage, that designed capacitor should also function at 2.3v and not breakdown above 1.15v. Why are commercial supercapacitors rated at 2.3v in this case? What am I missing here?

Two capacitors in series have twice the breakdown voltage of one. eg 1.2 * 2 is about 2.4V.

CWatters said:
Two capacitors in series have twice the breakdown voltage of one. eg 1.2 * 2 is about 2.4V.
Right, but conventional 2.3v supercapacitors are single cells rather than two in series as I understand. I don't get how that works. I also understand how this can easily be explained by adding the voltages per electrode, but even then the potential difference would be greater than 1.48v causing electrolysis within an aqueous electrolyte.

1. What is a supercapacitor electrolyte?

A supercapacitor electrolyte is a solution or substance that acts as a medium for the movement of ions between the two electrodes of a supercapacitor. It is a crucial component that enables the storage and release of energy in a supercapacitor.

2. What are the key properties of a good supercapacitor electrolyte?

The key properties of a good supercapacitor electrolyte include low resistance, good conductivity, high stability, and compatibility with the electrode materials. It should also have a wide electrochemical window, high selectivity for specific ions, and low volatility to prevent evaporation.

3. What types of materials are commonly used as supercapacitor electrolytes?

Some common materials used as supercapacitor electrolytes include organic solvents such as acetonitrile, propylene carbonate, and ionic liquids such as tetraethylammonium tetrafluoroborate. Solid-state electrolytes, such as polymer electrolytes and gel electrolytes, are also being researched for their potential use in supercapacitors.

4. How does the choice of electrolyte affect the performance of a supercapacitor?

The choice of electrolyte can greatly impact the performance of a supercapacitor. A good electrolyte should have low internal resistance, high ion conductivity, and good stability to enable efficient energy storage and release. The type and concentration of electrolyte can also affect the capacitance, power density, and cycle life of a supercapacitor.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with supercapacitor electrolytes?

Some supercapacitor electrolytes, such as organic solvents, can be flammable and pose safety risks if not handled properly. However, there are also more environmentally friendly and safer alternatives, such as aqueous electrolytes, which do not pose as much of a safety concern. It is important to carefully consider the type of electrolyte used in a supercapacitor and follow proper safety protocols during handling and operation.