What are some companies that make super low-power step-down converters?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, the conversation discusses options for powering an IC that requires 5V at 7mA on an isolated area of a PCB. Two DC supply sources are available - a 5V supply that needs to be isolated and an 18V supply that does not. The individual is looking for a super low-power step-down converter to avoid wasting energy from the batteries. Suggestions are made for the National Semi LM5009 buck step-down converter and the Linear Technology company for high efficiency converters. The conversation also mentions a Linear Technology application note for further reading.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I have a situation where there is an IC that takes 5V at 7mA on an isolated area of my PCB. I have two DC supply sources to choose from to power this chip; either a 5V supply (which has to be isolated from this chip) or an 18V supply which doesn't need to be isolated from it.

I currently have a simple linear regulator to drop the voltage from the 18V side down to 5V, but since my board runs on batteries (two 9Vs to be specific) I don't want to waste any extra power if I can help it. Would any of you happen to know of any companies who make super low-power step-down converters? I was looking on Mouser/Digikey for the small monolithic ones with all the guts in them but the lowest I could find were 1W units. and if I only draw like 7mA from it, the efficiency would be so bad that it wouldn't be worth using.

I also am thinking that some kind of charge pump may work since the power is so low but I have yet to find any step-down charge pumps.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a tough design point. Have you looked at the National Semi LM5009 buck step-down converter?

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM5009.html

It looks to be their lowest-power buck. The efficiency plot on this web page implies that it may still be pretty efficient down at 7mA, but the plot doesn't go below 50mA (the datasheet should have a better plot, and a listing of the Iq for the part, which will limit the low Iout efficiency.

Beyond that, the linear approach seems your best bet. Or you could home-brew your own step-down buck circuit, optimized for very low Iq. What are your regulation and ripple requirements for this 5V IC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Linear Technology IMO is the best company in the industry for converters. A switching converter will get you 85% efficient against your 5V*7ma load, for a Pin of 41mw. If you use a linear you must waste the drop 13V*7ma, for an Pin of 126mw or ~3x worse.
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,C1064,P49784

When you have a moment read Williams' '..Converters for Poets' app note. Its a master piece on the subject, along w/ most of his app. notes.
http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.jsp

Last edited:

Related to What are some companies that make super low-power step-down converters?

1. What is a DC/DC converter?

A DC/DC converter is an electronic circuit that converts a DC voltage from one level to another. It is commonly used to step up or step down DC voltages to meet specific power requirements for various electronic devices.

2. How does a DC/DC converter work?

A DC/DC converter works by using a switching circuit to rapidly turn the input DC voltage on and off. This creates a pulsating current which is then filtered and smoothed to produce an output DC voltage that is higher or lower than the input voltage, depending on the type of converter.

3. What are the different types of DC/DC converters?

There are several types of DC/DC converters including buck converters, boost converters, buck-boost converters, and flyback converters. Each type has its own unique circuit design and characteristics, making them suitable for different applications.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC/DC converter?

One of the main advantages of using a DC/DC converter is its ability to efficiently convert DC voltages without the need for bulky and expensive transformers. They are also highly reliable, have a fast response time, and can operate over a wide range of input and output voltages.

5. How do I choose the right DC/DC converter for my application?

Choosing the right DC/DC converter depends on several factors such as the required output voltage, input voltage range, power rating, efficiency, and cost. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a knowledgeable engineer to select the best converter for your specific application.