Can a Computer Crack the Beale Ciphers?

• Thread starter Jaziel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, there is a possibility that a computer could crack the first and third ciphers of the Beale Ciphers, but it will depend on the length of the key used. However, the digitization of books may not be helpful in this process due to potential errors and the specific format of the cipher. There is also a belief that the ciphers may be a hoax, but even if they are, the undeciphered ciphers could still be genuine. The length of the keytext in a book cipher is an important factor in its security.
Jaziel
(Please excuse me if this is the wrong section to ask this question) With reference to 'The Code Book' by Simon Singh, will it be possible for a computer to crack the as yet still undeciphered first and third (alleged) ciphers of the famous Beale Ciphers? If so, how might this be achieved? Many thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe they can't be deciphered until the right edition of the code book on which they based is found.

Nowadays, we have a lot of old books that are digitized so i suppose an algorithm could be designed to test each book against the two texts to see if we get something understandable.

Jaziel said:
... will it be possible for a computer to crack the as yet still undeciphered first and third (alleged) ciphers of the famous Beale Ciphers?
It is still possible, but it will depend on the length of the key employed to generate the transformation. A computer may convolve the cipher text into several different plausible texts, without giving any indication if the original is actually included in the set.

In order to be productive, a cryptanalyst should balance their work on several ciphers at the one time. That way there will be some success, even if some ciphers have insufficient depth, or are deliberate hoaxes. It is not unusual to find faked ciphers, designed to waste the time of otherwise competent cryptanalysts, or to make money selling dreams of great treasure.

jedishrfu said:
Nowadays, we have a lot of old books that are digitized so i suppose an algorithm could be designed to test each book against the two texts to see if we get something understandable.
The digitisation of books is not helpful if the page, line, word spelling, ligatures and hyphenation is not preserved. The order of digitised blocks of text are not preserved in common digitised file formats, and there are often invisible errors in OCR and the distribution of spaces, that confound the use of what otherwise appears to be a true facsimile.

The Beale cipher is a form of book cipher. The encoder numbered the words in a document and when he needed the word he'd write down its number.

THE BOOK
1-The 2-quick 3-brown 4-fox 5-jumped 6-over 7-my 8-lazy 9-dog.

THE CIPHER
so if I wrote 7 8 9 5 6 1 3 4 you could decode it as:

THE ANSWER
My lazy dog jumped over the brown fox.

Basically you need to know the basis text document as standard statistical based cryptoanalytics won't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers
There is also a belief that the ciphers are a hoax perpetrated to sell the pamphlets that advertised them.

It has been pointed out that even if the Beale papers are a hoax, the two undeciphered ciphers themselves could still be genuine ciphers. There's no treasure at the end of the day, that's all. A possible alternative, mentioned by Simon Singh (I think?) is that the Beale papers are genuine and that Thomas Beale deliberately scrambled parts of the two ciphers for added security.

Baluncore said:
It is still possible, but it will depend on the length of the key employed to generate the transformation.

That is very interesting. Just how short can the keytext of a book cipher be without risking quick decryption?

1. What are the Beale Ciphers and why are they significant?

The Beale Ciphers are a set of three encrypted messages that were allegedly created by Thomas J. Beale in the 19th century. They are significant because they are said to contain the locations and contents of a buried treasure worth millions of dollars.

2. How have computers been used to try and solve the Beale Ciphers?

Since the Beale Ciphers are extremely difficult to crack by hand, computers have been used to try and solve them. Various techniques such as frequency analysis, brute force algorithms, and genetic algorithms have been used to try and decode the messages.

3. Have any of the Beale Ciphers been successfully decoded?

To this day, none of the Beale Ciphers have been definitively decoded. However, some researchers claim to have cracked the second cipher using computer algorithms, but their results have not been widely accepted or proven.

4. What are some challenges in using computers to solve the Beale Ciphers?

One of the main challenges in using computers to solve the Beale Ciphers is the lack of a known or agreed upon encryption method. This makes it difficult to determine which techniques and algorithms to use in decoding the messages. Additionally, the ciphers may have additional layers of encryption or hidden clues, making it even more challenging for computers to solve.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the Beale Ciphers and computing?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding the Beale Ciphers and computing. Some argue that using advanced technology to try and solve the ciphers takes away from the historical and romantic aspect of the mystery. There are also concerns about the potential exploitation of Native American land if the treasure is found. Additionally, there are concerns about the potential manipulation or falsification of results in order to claim the treasure.