Kinetics problem from olympiad

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to finding the concentration when a system has reached its half life, specifically in the context of kinetics problems. It is mentioned that there is a formula for half-life with second order kinetics, but it is not commonly used outside of Olympiadics. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the underlying principles rather than just relying on memorized formulas. Ultimately, the conclusion is that the answer to the question is 1×10^2.
sidt36

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-22_14-46-0.png

Homework Equations

Is the question asking the concentration when the system has reached its half life
Can use the half life formula?[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So

1/cT + 1/co = kt

1/(4 *10-2) + 1/x = k(half life time)

Is this the right approach

Please help me as this is the first time I am attempting Kinetics problems[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is slightly ambiguous. I guess, but it is not explicitly stated, that the initial concentrations of A and B are the same.

So then you have in practice second order kinetics with respect to A, for there A = B at all times. So practically you would have the second or the kinetics with respect to A (or B).

There is a formula for half-life with second order kinetics but I don't think it's the one you have used.

Best to try and work this out from first principles. Then look it up in any case. That is the second part of this test. But the first part – knowing that this was what you had to do was the more important olympiadic part.

I never remember very well this formula - reason is there is not commonly all that much use for it outside of Olympiadics, at least in my experience. I just remember there is such a formula, and can always work it out from first principles.

Well I Have a solution with some logic (...)
R α CA CB

When we half each concentration the Total rate falls by ¼
So the answer should be 1×102

Yes that is a good way to reason.

Notice that it did depend on the initial [A] = [ B](10-2 btw).

Last edited:

1. What is a kinetics problem from olympiad?

A kinetics problem from olympiad is a type of question that tests a student's understanding of chemical reactions and their rates. It typically involves calculating reaction rates, determining reaction mechanisms, and solving related mathematical problems.

2. How do I approach a kinetics problem from olympiad?

To approach a kinetics problem from olympiad, it is important to first understand the given information and identify the relevant equations and concepts. Then, systematically solve the problem by breaking it down into smaller steps and using appropriate formulas and units. It is also helpful to check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

3. What are some common topics covered in kinetics problems from olympiad?

Some common topics covered in kinetics problems from olympiad include reaction rates, rate laws, order of reactions, rate constants, activation energy, and reaction mechanisms. These topics are essential for understanding chemical reactions and their rates.

4. Are there any tips for solving kinetics problems from olympiad?

Yes, some tips for solving kinetics problems from olympiad include understanding the basics of kinetics, practicing with various types of problems, and using visual aids such as graphs and diagrams to better understand the problem. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and units to avoid errors.

5. How can I prepare for kinetics problems in olympiad exams?

To prepare for kinetics problems in olympiad exams, it is important to study and understand the fundamental concepts and equations related to kinetics. Practice solving various types of problems and engage in sample exams to become familiar with the format and types of questions. Seek help from teachers or peers if needed and review your mistakes to improve your understanding.