Can a microwave transformer be used for other purposes?

In summary, the transformer from a microwave can be used for various purposes, including a car battery charger or arc welder. However, it is important to note that these transformers can be dangerous and caution should be taken when handling them. It is recommended that those who are not familiar with electricity should avoid using them. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the potential danger of high voltage and current output from the transformer. A discussion about the safety of using these transformers can be found in a thread online.
John1397
I have the transformer from a microwave that has the few turns and big windings on one side and the other side must have smaller turns I was just wondering if you apply 115 volt ac to the larger number of windings what would come out the heavier windings? I am just wondering if this can be used as a car battery charger or arc welder or any other use before I take it apart?

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
MoT can be used for a number of things but I must caution you, they are dangerous. You can kill yourself playing around with them so I always suggest people that are not extremely familiar with electricity to stay away from them.

To clarify, MoT are dangerous because they put out medium voltage (~2000 volts or so, depending on the model) with high current (~550 mA or so, depending on the model.)

The number of mA it takes to kill you depends on a number of things, but if I recall correctly 50 mA or higher can be lethal.

Another edit to link you to a thread I just found by using google. It's a 3 page discussion of MoT.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326706

Last edited:

Related to Can a microwave transformer be used for other purposes?

1. What is a microwave transformer?

A microwave transformer is an electrical device that is used to step up or step down the voltage in a microwave oven. It is responsible for converting the standard household voltage of 120 volts to the high voltage needed to power the magnetron, which generates the microwaves that cook food.

2. How does a microwave transformer work?

A microwave transformer works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from the primary winding to the secondary winding. The primary winding is connected to the household voltage, while the secondary winding is connected to the high voltage capacitor and magnetron. As the current flows through the primary winding, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary winding, resulting in a step-up or step-down in voltage.

3. What is the importance of a microwave transformer?

A microwave transformer is crucial for the proper functioning of a microwave oven. Without it, the voltage needed to power the magnetron would not be achieved, and the microwave would not be able to cook food. It also helps to regulate the voltage and ensure the safety of the appliance by preventing electrical overload.

4. How do I know if my microwave transformer is faulty?

If your microwave is not heating food or is making loud buzzing noises, it could be an indication of a faulty microwave transformer. You can also use a multimeter to test the continuity of the transformer's windings. If there is no continuity, it may need to be replaced.

5. Can a microwave transformer be repaired?

In most cases, a faulty microwave transformer cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced. It is a complex electrical component that requires the expertise of a professional to safely replace. It is important to have a trained technician handle any repairs or replacements involving the microwave transformer to avoid electrical hazards.