Can a sheet of paper cut something if thin enough?

• I
  • Thread starter esimp18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Paper
In summary: Unless the paper was truly 0.000000000000001" thick, then applying pressure would not make it cut anything.
esimp18
I have been arguing with my friends about this question and we need some educated opinions on it. I think that if a piece of paper in thin enough it can cut something. These are the details:

1. "thin" in this case means extremely thin
2. The paper can not be used to saw or swipe( it would be cutting like a guillotine)
3. you can choose the object (for example a tomato will be reasonable)
4. the piece of paper will have some tension to keep it from bending but not much(about as much tension as you can make by pulling on both ends of a piece of paper)

Example of this experiment would be someone holding a piece of thin paper vertically(with tension) and someone drops a tomato a few feet above the paper. will it crumple or slice the tomato

My argument is that because the paper is so ridiculously thin, that paper will be able to slip between the bonds of the tomatoes particles and without much force. Kind of like how a dull knife requires a lot of force to cut a tomato but a sharp knife requires less force. Can a piece of paper be so sharp as to not require much force(sturdiness) to cut a tomato.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: No. You cannot make a paper so thin that it slips "in between bonds". What do you think paper is made of?

You never had a paper cut? It can cut your skin quite easily if you are not careful.

nasu said:
You never had a paper cut? It can cut your skin quite easily if you are not careful.
Read rule 2.

esimp18 said:
3. you can choose the object (for example a tomato will be reasonable)
Peeled?

I think the rules are a bit too wide. If I can choose the object, I choose a blob of razor foam. Will a static piece of paper cut that? Certainly.

Likes russ_watters
rumborak said:
I choose a blob of razor foam. Will a static piece of paper cut that? Certainly.
Scissors cut paper.
Paper cuts foam.
Foam corrodes scissors.

Likes sophiecentaur, russ_watters, rumborak and 1 other person
Can I fold the paper to make it thicker and stronger?

CWatters said:
Can I fold the paper to make it thicker and stronger?
but if its thicker the pressure applied will decrease therefore it will not cut any object.

I think that depends how it's folded.

You can't keep the paper exactly straight and at exact 90 degree angle relative to what you're cutting, so there will be buckling/bending that will ruin the experiment.

I think that one would have to have 'paper' built along the lines of the near atomically thin diamond 'film' that they have managed to create. The film would be technicaly strong enough, hard enough and thin enough to cut, however, being held as the above experiment states, the top edge is very likely to roll and at that point collapse as it quits cutting and takes the weight load and merely further deforming.

1. Can a sheet of paper actually cut something if it is thin enough?

Yes, a sheet of paper can cut something if it is thin enough. However, the object being cut must also be relatively soft and can be easily pierced by the paper's edge.

2. How thin does a sheet of paper have to be to cut something?

This depends on the material of the object being cut. A sheet of paper can typically cut through soft materials such as fruit or thin plastic if it is thin enough, but it may not be able to cut through harder materials like metal or thick plastic.

3. Why does the thickness of the paper matter in its cutting ability?

The thickness of the paper affects its stiffness and ability to hold a sharp edge. Thinner paper is more flexible and can be folded or curved to create a sharper edge, allowing it to cut through objects more easily.

4. Is there a limit to how thin a sheet of paper can be before it can no longer cut anything?

There is no specific limit, as the ability of the paper to cut depends on the material being cut and the sharpness of its edge. However, there is a practical limit as extremely thin paper may become too fragile and tear when attempting to cut something.

5. Can a sheet of paper be used as a replacement for a knife or scissors?

No, a sheet of paper is not a reliable or safe replacement for a knife or scissors. While it may be able to cut certain soft materials, it is not designed for cutting and may not have a strong enough edge to effectively cut through many objects.