Can a smartphone transmit/receive 125KHz?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of using a smartphone to read 125KHz RFID tags for a final project in EE studies. The person is wondering if the required hardware for this exists in a regular smartphone. They have not found any information through Google searches and it is unlikely that a phone would work below 10MHz. It is suggested to use a cheap external 125kHz RFID reader/writer connected to the USB plug of an android phone.
YanivW
As part of my final project in my EE studies I was thinking if it is possible to read 125KHz RFID tags with a smartphone. I know it is possible with NFC (13.56MHz) and I was thinking about implementing a 125KHz reader. Is there any antenna in a regular smartphone that can deal with these low frequencies? I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
Thanks! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
YanivW said:
As part of my final project in my EE studies I was thinking if it is possible to read 125KHz RFID tags with a smartphone. I know it is possible with NFC (13.56MHz) and I was thinking about implementing a 125KHz reader. Is there any antenna in a regular smartphone that can deal with these low frequencies? I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
Thanks! :smile:
What have you found with your Google searches so far?

YanivW said:
I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
It might, but I would not expect a phone to work below 10MHz. There will be a big difference between the small antenna needed on a UHF mobile phone and the wire loop antenna that would be needed for a 125kHz RFID tag.

There is no antenna in any common smartphone capable of that. On the other hand you could connect a cheap external 125kHz RFID reader/writer to the USB plug of an android phone.

1. Can a smartphone transmit/receive 125KHz?

Yes, most modern smartphones are equipped with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology which allows them to communicate with devices that operate at 125KHz frequency.

2. How does a smartphone transmit/receive 125KHz?

Smartphones use an antenna and a chip that is capable of creating and reading electromagnetic fields in order to transmit and receive data at 125KHz frequency.

3. Are there any limitations to a smartphone's ability to transmit/receive 125KHz?

Yes, there are limitations to the range at which a smartphone can transmit/receive data at 125KHz. The range is typically limited to a few centimeters, making it suitable for short range communication only.

4. Can a smartphone be used as a replacement for traditional 125KHz RFID cards?

Yes, smartphones can be used as a replacement for traditional 125KHz RFID cards. However, this would require the smartphone to be equipped with a compatible NFC chip and the necessary software to emulate the functionality of an RFID card.

5. Are there any security concerns with using a smartphone to transmit/receive 125KHz data?

Yes, there are potential security concerns with using a smartphone to transmit/receive 125KHz data. This is because NFC technology is susceptible to hacking and data interception. It is important to take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of sensitive data when using a smartphone for 125KHz communication.