Is there an RFID chip that lets you add sensor input?

In summary, the conversation is about building an RFID circuit with a sensor for a project. The receiver would send a signal to energize the circuit and the sensor would send data to the IC chip, which would then send it back to the reader. There is a discussion about hacking an existing tag or buying a certain IC to make a tag, and suggestions for suitable chips are mentioned. The person is looking for information and options for a pressure sensor and a nano sensor is suggested as a low-power option.
volican
Hi,

I am working on a project where I will be building my own sensor and would like to have this in an RFID circuit. I am new to this so any info pointers would be much appreciated. Here is what I would like to do:

The receiver would send a signal to energise the circuit. Using this energy, my sensor would send data to the IC chip, the IC chip would then send this captured data back to the reader.

Would it be possible to hack an existing tag (e.g. https://www.buyapi.ca/product/rfid-tag/) and add my sensor to the circuit or would it involve making a tag by buying a certain IC? If so, do you have any ideas which chips would be most suitable.

Much appreciated for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of sensor? What voltage and current does it need? Looks like there are systems on the market that you may be able to leverage...

http://www.phaseivengr.com/wireless-technologies/wireless-technologies-overview/about-wireless-rfid-sensors/

:smile:

Thanks a lot. It will be a pressure sensor. At this early stage I am flexible on voltages, just want to see what the options are.

With a quick skim, I did find temperature sensors at that site I linked. Did you see any pressure sensors offered by them?

I've dropped them an email to ask, I'll report back.

1. Is there currently an RFID chip that can add sensor input?

Yes, there are RFID chips that have the capability to add sensor input. These chips are known as sensor-enhanced RFID tags and are used in a variety of applications such as inventory management, temperature monitoring, and tracking.

2. How does an RFID chip with sensor input work?

An RFID chip with sensor input works by combining the RFID technology, which allows for wireless communication and identification, with a sensor that collects and transmits data. The sensor is attached to the RFID chip, which can then be read by an RFID reader, allowing for real-time data collection and tracking.

3. What types of sensors can be added to an RFID chip?

There are many types of sensors that can be added to an RFID chip, depending on the specific application. Some common types of sensors include temperature sensors, humidity sensors, pressure sensors, and motion sensors. These sensors allow for a wide range of data collection and monitoring capabilities.

4. What are the advantages of using an RFID chip with sensor input?

The main advantage of using an RFID chip with sensor input is the ability to collect and transmit data wirelessly and in real-time. This can greatly improve efficiency and accuracy in various applications. Additionally, using an RFID chip with sensor input eliminates the need for manual data collection, reducing human error and saving time.

5. What are some common uses for RFID chips with sensor input?

RFID chips with sensor input have a wide range of uses, including inventory management, supply chain tracking, environmental monitoring, healthcare, and more. These chips are also being used in smart packaging, smart homes, and other Internet of Things (IoT) applications.