Can a Subsea Lifting Bag With CO2 Rise to the Surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lifting capabilities of subsea lifting bags filled with different gases. It is noted that while CO2 has a greater density than O2, it is still less dense than water and would therefore rise to the surface. However, after further research, it is found that CO2 would require 37% more mass than O2 to lift the same amount. The conversation also mentions the role of water density and the minimal effect of gas type on lifting power.
cps.13
This may sounds like a stupid question but...

If you were to use a subsea lifting bag filled with O2 it would rise to the surface.

Would the same happen with CO2? I assume the density of CO2 is different so the amount required would be more or less than O2, but it is still less dense than water so should rise?

Thanks

Edit:

After looking on google I can see that CO2 is 1.824 Kg/m3 whereas O2 is 1.331 Kg/m3. So you would therefore need 37% more CO2 to lift the same mass using O2.

Is that correct?

Thanks

Likes Xilus
Physics news on Phys.org
cps.13 said:
After looking on google I can see that CO2 is 1.824 Kg/m3 whereas O2 is 1.331 Kg/m3. So you would therefore need 37% more CO2 to lift the same mass using O2.

Is that correct?
No, it is not correct.
What is the density of water and how does that figure in?

There is a similar question, comparing Hydrogen and Helium for lifting power of balloons.
Take a look at this link about balloons (and lifting underwater).

I think we just have to consider that the O2 has mass. and the CO2 has mass. and we have to add that in. when its in that giant balloon. we can consider it to be its own object with a certian mass and a certian size (and extremely low mass). so let's just use 1m^3 volume.

I think the force from the water is going to be 1000 times greater than the weight of the O2 or CO2.
so the type of gas (while under water) has a really small effect.

I didn't account for F=ma or drag forces.

1. Can a subsea lifting bag with CO2 rise to the surface?

Yes, a subsea lifting bag with CO2 can rise to the surface. CO2 is a gas that is less dense than water, so it will naturally rise to the surface when released from the bag.

2. How does a subsea lifting bag with CO2 work?

A subsea lifting bag with CO2 works by filling the bag with CO2 gas, which is less dense than water. This creates buoyancy and allows the bag to rise to the surface.

3. What is the purpose of using CO2 in a subsea lifting bag?

The purpose of using CO2 in a subsea lifting bag is to provide buoyancy and allow the bag to rise to the surface. CO2 is a common gas that is readily available and safe to use in subsea operations.

4. How much weight can a subsea lifting bag with CO2 lift?

The amount of weight a subsea lifting bag with CO2 can lift depends on the size and capacity of the bag. However, these bags are commonly used to lift up to several tons of weight.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using CO2 in a subsea lifting bag?

As with any gas, there are some safety concerns with using CO2 in a subsea lifting bag. It is important to follow proper procedures for handling and using the gas to ensure safety and avoid any potential hazards.