Can aeroplanes be technically used as time travel machines?

In summary, the person is talking about how time zones can be confusing and how if someone travels to a different time zone they might be an hour ahead of everyone back home.
Jacinta
So I'm currently on holidays somewhere, and it's one hour ahead of where i live. Since i went on the areoplane and landed to a new country where the time is an hour ahead, this also means i technically landed into the future, right?

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
Borek said:
No.

Why? Can you support your argument? :)

Likes Jacinta
Borek said:
No.

But I'm technically one hour ahead of everyone back home, so I'm living one hour into the future.

No. Just like you won't be ahead of time if you just set your clock to time+1h without moving from home.

Borek said:
No. Just like you won't be ahead of time if you just set your clock to time+1h without moving from home.

But if you change the time on your phone that won't actually change the time, whereas I'm currently an hour ahead of everyone back home.

Jacinta said:
But I'm technically one hour ahead of everyone back home, so I'm living one hour into the future.
Call them on the phone and see if you have to wait an hour for a reply.

Likes lekh2003, Bystander and phinds
russ_watters said:
Call them on the phone and see if you have to wait an hour for a reply.

They probably wouldn't even respond, but that's not the point.

Jacinta said:
Yes, it IS the point.

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
Yes, it IS the point.

i'm pretty sure the reason they wouldn't respond is not only due to time difference.

It's the same time, but we need to write the time fully to see that.

Suppose Dorothy and her dog Toto are in Denver Colorado and it is 9AM.
We write it as 09:00 MST, where the 'MST' denotes Mountain Standard Time.
Or more fully as 09:00:00-07:00 in standardized ISO 8601 notation, which means we have subtracted 7 hours from Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).

Now she and her dog are magically transported to Kansas City (instantaneously), where it is 10AM, or rather 10:00 CST, with 'CST' for Central Standard Time.
Again more fully 10:00:00-06:00.
Both are also written as 16:00:00Z, which is the time that a clock at the zero meridian (Greenwich, England) shows.

So even though the local clock shows a different time than Dorothy's watch, which really represents the altitude of the sun, it really is the same (UTC) time.
It's similar to how degrees Fahrenheit are converted to degrees Celsius. It's a different number but the same temperature.

Last edited:
Likes newbz and Ryan_m_b
Jacinta said:
I can see you are not being serious. Thread locked.

1. Can aeroplanes travel through time?

No, currently, aeroplanes do not have the capability to travel through time. Time travel is a concept that is still under scientific research and is not yet possible with our current technology.

2. Is it possible for aeroplanes to be modified to travel through time?

At this point, there is no known technology or scientific theory that suggests that aeroplanes can be modified to travel through time. Time travel is a complex concept that involves many factors and requires advanced technology that we do not currently possess.

3. Can aeroplanes travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object, including aeroplanes, to travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit and cannot be exceeded.

4. Are there any experiments or research being conducted on using aeroplanes as time travel machines?

As of now, there are no known experiments or research being conducted on using aeroplanes as time travel machines. Time travel is a highly theoretical concept that is still under scientific exploration and is not yet a practical possibility.

5. Could aeroplanes be used for time dilation, which is a form of time travel?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation is a form of time travel where time passes differently for an object moving at high speeds. Aeroplanes do experience a small amount of time dilation due to their high speeds, but it is not significant enough to be considered time travel.