Can all elements, (not including gases) form Ionic Bonds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calcium and iron forming an ionic bond, as well as the potential for elements like gold and radium, and sodium and tin, to bond if they were to come into contact. The concept of activation barriers and energy requirements for chemical reactions is also mentioned, along with the role of free energy in determining if elements will bond or not. The conversation ends with a clarification on the definition of an ionic bond and the factors that influence whether or not elements will bond with each other.
cj20x2
I've been looking all over the internet, can calcium and iron form an ionic bond, Gold and Radium, Sodium and Tin. If those elements happened to run into each other.

Also, another thing I don't understand is why don't the atoms in my hand bond with atoms on the wall when they come into contact.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definition of an ionic bond?

Likes Gajan1234
cj20x2 said:
Also, another thing I don't understand is why don't the atoms in my hand bond with atoms on the wall when they come into contact.
Generally speaking, most chemical reactions have activation barriers: there is a minimum energy required for the chemical reaction to take place. There are molecular bonds to break before new ones can form. Also, a reaction may not be favorable because the energy of the products might be higher than the energy of the reactants.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Do you know the definition of an ionic bond?

I'm having a hard time getting the wording right for what I'm trying to ask. Basically if possible, if you were to take a single instance of an element, and make it interact with a completely different element would it automatically create a bond between the 2 or are there other things that determine if the elements will bond or not.

cj20x2 said:
I'm having a hard time getting the wording right for what I'm trying to ask. Basically if possible, if you were to take a single instance of an element, and make it interact with a completely different element would it automatically create a bond between the 2 or are there other things that determine if the elements will bond or not.
No, it depends. That has everything to do with the availability or absence of free energy. See @DrClaude's post. Is that the answer you're looking for?

1. Can all elements form ionic bonds?

Yes, all elements can form ionic bonds as long as they have electrons available for bonding.

2. What is an ionic bond?

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond where two atoms transfer electrons from one to the other, resulting in a positive and negative ion that are attracted to each other.

3. Can gases form ionic bonds?

No, gases cannot form ionic bonds because they do not have enough electrons available for bonding.

4. How do elements form ionic bonds?

Elements form ionic bonds when one element has a higher electronegativity than the other, causing it to pull electrons from the other element.

5. Can elements with a full outer electron shell form ionic bonds?

No, elements with a full outer electron shell cannot form ionic bonds because they are already stable and do not need to gain or lose electrons to achieve stability.