Can an Allen Wrench Withstand Maximum Force Before Breaking?

In summary, the allen wrench will bend before it breaks. The fractional size of the wrench will determine how much stress it can withstand before breaking.
taylorbrown96
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knew of (or could come up with) an equation relating the tensile strength and the maximum force that could be applied to an allen wrench? Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What direction do you want to load the wrench? A picture of your intended test/application set up would help make your question more clear.

In general, I think you will find that the wrench will bend/yield long before it breaks. Does that count as a failure, or are you only concerned with breaking into two parts?

OldEngr63 said:
bend/yield long before it breaks
"Bargain bin" hex keys will; honest "Allen" brand? Depends on how much "shock" loading they've endured from impact drivers.

i broke a lot of them over the years. when working on rusted old automobiles, pretty common. they snap before they ever take a bend and retain the bend usually.

Ranger, I think this is fundamental your experience. Where was usually the position of the fracture ?

I have seen them all. Bends, breaks, twists, etc. On set screws the screw usually splits before the wrench is damaged.

usually the small ones break...and the fracture is close to the L , i have twisted a 1/2" (13mm) allen wrench..used a pipe to try to break loose an allen plug

I have always found the smaller fractional < 3/8" will strip the fastener before breaking a wrench.
When using the larger internal socket hex wrenches, it will sometimes need a "cheater / persuader / logic modifier" to loosen the fastener and that is what will break the wrench, but after using them for 30 yrs, I haven't broken many at all.

What causes an Allen wrench to break?

Allen wrenches are typically made of hardened steel, which can become brittle and prone to breaking if exposed to excessive force or torque. Other factors that can contribute to an Allen wrench breaking include using the wrong size wrench for a particular bolt or nut, or using a damaged or worn out wrench.

How can I prevent an Allen wrench from breaking?

To prevent an Allen wrench from breaking, it is important to use the correct size wrench for the bolt or nut you are trying to turn. Additionally, make sure the wrench is in good condition and not worn out or damaged. Applying lubricant to the bolt or nut can also help reduce friction and prevent the wrench from breaking.

What should I do if an Allen wrench breaks inside a bolt or nut?

If an Allen wrench breaks inside a bolt or nut, you can try using a bolt extractor tool to remove the broken piece. If that does not work, you may need to drill out the broken piece or seek professional assistance.

Can I reuse a broken Allen wrench?

In most cases, a broken Allen wrench should not be reused. The broken piece may not fit securely in the bolt or nut, and it could potentially break again, causing damage or injury. It is best to dispose of a broken Allen wrench and use a new one for future projects.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an Allen wrench?

When using an Allen wrench, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear such as gloves and eye protection. Make sure the wrench is in good condition and properly sized for the task. Avoid using excessive force or torque, and always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use.