Signs of Tensile and Compressive Stresses

• Thread starter a1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensile
In summary: in that situation, if the force is really compressive, you end up with a negative value for the stress.
a1234
TL;DR Summary
Signs (directions) of forces on FBDs are not matching up with the conventions used for tensile and compressive stresses
I have recently learned that, by convention, axial tensile stresses are positive and axial compressive stresses are negative. I am having some trouble incorporating this information into my FBDs that are used to find the axial forces leading to these stresses.

For instance, from the attached FBD, I ended up finding Fab to be -500 N, which indicates that the force is actually compressive (directed toward point A) and not tensile as drawn in the FBD. However, if I had originally drawn Fab to be in compression, then wouldn't I find Fab = +500 N?

If I had drawn the latter kind of FBD and used Fab = +500 N to find the axial stress in Fab, I would end up with a positive value for the stress, which I know is wrong because the stress is compressive. In this case, how can I make the stress a negative value?

Could someone please help me figure out what I am missing here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FBD of Point.PNG
    FBD of Point.PNG
    891 bytes · Views: 307
Engineering news on Phys.org
a1234 said:
Summary: Signs (directions) of forces on FBDs are not matching up with the conventions used for tensile and compressive stresses

I have recently learned that, by convention, axial tensile stresses are positive and axial compressive stresses are negative. I am having some trouble incorporating this information into my FBDs that are used to find the axial forces leading to these stresses.

For instance, from the attached FBD, I ended up finding Fab to be -500 N, which indicates that the force is actually compressive (directed toward point A) and not tensile as drawn in the FBD. However, if I had originally drawn Fab to be in compression, then wouldn't I find Fab = +500 N?

If I had drawn the latter kind of FBD and used Fab = +500 N to find the axial stress in Fab, I would end up with a positive value for the stress, which I know is wrong because the stress is compressive. In this case, how can I make the stress a negative value?

Could someone please help me figure out what I am missing here?

Thanks!
The plus and minus signs have multiple meanings in Physics and Engineering. Similar perhaps to your example, if you assume that a force acts down and you get a negative solution for that force, it means that you assumed the wrong direction for the force, and that it actually acts up. If you got a positive solution for that force, it means you assumed the correct direction for that force, even though it may be a compressive force.

Forget about actual signage for tension and compressive axial forces in a free body diagram...I mean how do you assign a positive or negative values to a force acting at a 45 degree angle?

The rule is this: if the force points inward toward the joint or member, it is a compressive force. If it points outward away from the joint or member, it is a tensile force. For the compression case , you call it a negative force, for the tension case, you call it a positive force, by convention. So don’t give it a sign until the end. If you assumed the direction of all forces correctly up front, you are going to get all positive numbers. Only after you determine if it is a pushing force or pulling force can you then give it a sign. Or don’t give it a sign, just say for sample that ‘the force is 10 N compressive’.

Thanks for the explanation. This makes a lot of sense.

Somehow, I assumed that the signs were supposed to "carry over" to the stresses in compression and tension, and I didn't think of them as having separate meanings.

You are welcome. Yeah, the minus sign is always a killer...

1. What is the difference between tensile and compressive stresses?

Tensile stress occurs when a material is being pulled or stretched, while compressive stress occurs when a material is being pushed or squeezed. In both cases, the material experiences internal forces that try to resist the deformation.

2. How can I identify signs of tensile and compressive stresses?

Tensile stresses typically cause a material to elongate, while compressive stresses cause it to shorten. This can result in visible signs such as cracks, fractures, or bulging in the material. Other signs may include changes in color or texture.

3. What factors can contribute to the development of tensile and compressive stresses?

Several factors can contribute to the development of tensile and compressive stresses, including external forces, temperature changes, and material properties. For example, a heavy load placed on a structure can cause compressive stresses, while extreme temperatures can cause thermal stresses.

4. How do engineers and scientists measure tensile and compressive stresses?

Tensile and compressive stresses can be measured using a variety of techniques, including strain gauges, extensometers, and ultrasonic testing. These methods allow for the precise measurement of the amount and distribution of stress within a material.

5. What are some common applications of materials that experience tensile and compressive stresses?

Tensile and compressive stresses are present in many everyday objects and structures, such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. They are also important considerations in the design and manufacture of materials used in aerospace, automotive, and construction industries.