Can an M.Eng (non-thesis) degree lead to a PhD in structural engineering?

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Thesis
In summary, a MASc. is typically required to pursue a PhD in Canada, but some students have been able to go on to a PhD program with a M.Eng (non-thesis option) in the US. However, it may require taking additional courses to catch up academically. It is recommended to speak with someone in academia, such as graduate admissions or the department of interest, to determine the necessary steps to get into a program. The thesis option is not considered a determining factor. A good grade on the GRE or equivalent may also be necessary.
CivilSigma
Hello,

In general, if you want to do a phD. you require a MASc., at least here in Canada.

However, because I am eager and really wanting to start my career in structural engineering, I want to pursue M.Eng (a 1 year professional degree, no thesis).

My question is, in your experience, has anyone with a M.Eng (non thesis option) been able to go on and do a phD?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's possible. Students have done this in the US as the MS degree is considered a stepping stone to the PhD. The problem comes in with how much time has elapsed and the overlap of your MS with your desired PhD path which means taking/retaking some courses to get back up to speed academically.

Why not seek out someone in academia either at graduate admissions of better yet in the department you are interested into find out what you'd need to do to get into a program? I don't think the thesis option helps or hurts here.

I figure your first step will have to be a good grade on the GRE or equivalent in Canada.

1. What is the difference between an M.ENG (non thesis) and a PhD?

An M.ENG (non thesis) is a professional master's degree that focuses on practical applications in engineering, while a PhD is a research-based degree that prepares students for careers in academia or advanced research positions.

2. Can I pursue a PhD after completing an M.ENG (non thesis)?

Yes, many students choose to pursue a PhD after completing an M.ENG (non thesis) program. However, it is important to note that a strong research background and experience may be necessary for admission into a PhD program.

3. What are the benefits of completing an M.ENG (non thesis) program before a PhD?

An M.ENG (non thesis) program can provide students with practical skills and knowledge that can be applied in industry. It can also help students gain a better understanding of their research interests and prepare them for a more research-intensive PhD program.

4. How long does it typically take to complete an M.ENG (non thesis) and a PhD?

The length of an M.ENG (non thesis) program can vary, but it is typically completed in 1-2 years. A PhD program can take anywhere from 4-6 years to complete, depending on the field of study and the individual student's progress.

5. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to pursue an M.ENG (non thesis) and a PhD?

Most M.ENG (non thesis) and PhD programs require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. However, some programs may accept students with a strong background in math, science, or technology. It is important to research the specific requirements for the program you are interested in.