Thesis vs. Non Thesis Masters Degree

In summary: Second point, I think it would be a mistake to do a masters in engineering without doing a thesis. I think the difference is that the M.Eng. program is more focused on practical application and real world design while the M.Sc. program is more focused on research. The M.Sc. program may be better for someone who wants to do research, but not have a career in engineering.
CivilSigma
Hello,

I always had in mind to complete a masters program with the thesis option in civil engineering.

However, I have become skeptical of this option as I am not sure how relevant it will be in terms of design in the "real" world or how the research I will do is ever going to be used by others ( I feel like it will be just another paper archived online).

With a non-thesis program I will also be required to do research, but it is on a smaller scale and the program is 1 year shorter. Is the M.Eng considered inferior to the M.Sc. ?

I'm not really sure which program to take.

Could someone please share with me their experience with graduate studies (in any field) and your considerations for taking either the thesis or non thesis option?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've asked this before. Can you tell us what you found unsatisfactory about your answers there? Otherwise, you shouldn't expect anything different.

Vanadium 50 said:
You've asked this before. Can you tell us what you found unsatisfactory about your answers there? Otherwise, you shouldn't expect anything different.

First point, good catch, I forgot about that post.

What I wanted more input from this thread is anyone's experience with any of the programs and what their degree has allowed them to do (maybe the title could have been better worded).

I started out in MSME. Very quickly realized that my particular University was using MS program to create applied mathematicians who would be pushed to Ph.D. program for research purposes and most likely a career in academia. Pursuing a Ph.D. did not interest me.

After the 1st semester, a new "Research Project based non-Thesis Master of Engineering" program in manufacturing was opening up. These programs were all the thing back in the 80's: combo of ME, EE, IE, Business, & CompSci. Kind of build my own degree program. Did it, it fit my personality & needs, has served me well, and never regretted it.

BECAUSE I went into manufacturing as a career, no one ever challenged my degree. When queried, I always explained that I regarded the degree program as "advanced training" beyond the BSME, which it was.

Likes CivilSigma

What is the difference between a thesis and non-thesis masters degree?

A thesis masters degree requires students to conduct original research and write a thesis paper, while a non-thesis masters degree typically involves completing coursework and passing a comprehensive exam or completing a final project.

Which type of masters degree is better for me?

This depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A thesis masters degree may be more beneficial for those pursuing a career in research or academia, while a non-thesis masters degree may be a better fit for those seeking practical skills and knowledge in their field.

Will a thesis or non-thesis degree affect my job prospects?

In most cases, both types of masters degrees are considered equal by employers. However, some industries or positions may prefer candidates with a specific type of degree. It is important to research the requirements of your desired career path to determine which type of degree may be more beneficial.

Can I switch from a non-thesis to a thesis masters program or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from one type of masters program to the other, but it may require additional coursework or extended time to complete the degree. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor and the program director before making a decision.

How long does it take to complete a thesis or non-thesis masters degree?

The length of time to complete a masters degree can vary depending on the program and individual progress. Typically, a thesis masters degree takes 2-3 years to complete, while a non-thesis masters degree can be completed in 1-2 years.