Can Ants Be Effectively Eliminated from Sugar Storage Containers?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary: This is a pretty good solution. It may take a while for it to completely work, but it should eventually keep the ants away.
This is a trick that I onced used for this.

Obviously, the ants are attracted to the sugar, so what you should first do, is find the source of the ants (mainly the ant hills). Exterminating the ant hills usually will not kill all of the ants, and most of the time causes them to move. So I poured sugar on the and hills and around them. Its my way of "keeping them busy".

It doesn't always work, but its more fun than the other ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend some sort of high powered explosive placed inside the sugar container, and then next time you notice ants in the container [walk away and then] push the detonator.

That'll teach the ants.

PS. Make sure you do this on carpet, as we can then repair the burn mark on your carpet through a little known technique.

NeoDevin said:
I would recommend some sort of high powered explosive placed inside the sugar container, and then next time you notice ants in the container [walk away and then] push the detonator.

That'll teach the ants.

PS. Make sure you do this on carpet, as we can then repair the burn mark on your carpet through a little known technique.

I'm going to write to Infinite Solutions about my ant problem. :approve:

Math Jeans said:
This is a trick that I onced used for this.

Obviously, the ants are attracted to the sugar, so what you should first do, is find the source of the ants (mainly the ant hills). Exterminating the ant hills usually will not kill all of the ants, and most of the time causes them to move. So I poured sugar on the and hills and around them. Its my way of "keeping them busy".
Yeah, mostly what they'll be busy doing is enlarging and spreading their colony...

Maybe its time to put a call in for Bill Murray, he really went to war with the gophers in Caddy Shack, he might could fix the ant problem:rofl:

binzing said:
I'll have to try that with some ants in captivity.

Which raises the question...if you can build a contraption to keep ants in captivity, why can't you build something similar to keep them OUT? What's different about your average ant farm and a food cannister that one is effective for keeping ants in but the other doesn't keep them out? Time to stick your food cannisters inside of plexiglass boxes with some vaseline around the outside edges...like a little fortress against the ants. :biggrin: You can try adding the moat, patrolled by an anteater...hey there you go, get an anteater as a pet! :wink:

Interesting--I hadn't heard of this:

"Whole Cloves are apparently a good way to repel invading sugar ants. Whole cloves have been used to help prevent infestations of all sorts of insects. I imagine it is the compounds that produce the strong smell in cloves that many pests do not like, but then, I'm not a biologist like Eric, so I wouldn't know. Suffice to say that if you leave some whole cloves laying around the house, especially along baseboards and under counters, you will probably have less sugar ants scurrying about--and perhaps a better smelling home, if you like cloves that is. "

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-sugar-ants.htm

Especially if you like cloves too --like clove cologne, clove aftershave, clove freshener hanging in cars, etc.---clove scented underwear (for those who get ants in their pants)

Last edited:
lisab said:
Yes, they dehydrate. But if you're an ant, what a way to go!

My wife has dreams of laying in a field of pasta. And then eating her way out...
If you can't tell she likes plain pasta with butter or olive oil.

Plus, the life expectancy of ants is short, they burn themselves out a few weeks. Most ant species remove the dead-uns when they are in the nest, but they leave 'em alone elsewhere. So when a worker ant buys it and is petiole-deep in sugar, she stays there.

The USDA has tolerance levels for insect body parts and frass (insect poop) in things like grain, flour, sugar and so on. In other words, a flour lot can have insect frass in it, and still pass inspection. So we all eat bug-flavored foods now and then...

Last edited:
Yes, I got a salad from a fast food place, and it had aphids in it, when I complained I was told the bug count met USDA standards.:yuck:

rewebster said:
I... if you like cloves that is. "

We could drive away Evo too, if we left a lot of cloves around (I think it was Evo who absolutely hates cloves...I used to, but in very small amounts have acquired a taste for them as a seasoning).

I'm not really sure I want cloves in my sugar though. Somehow, I think the ants would be tastier and not quite so tooth cracking should I bite into one in my cake.

It sounds like they shouldn't be eaten like candy (sugar coated cloves):

"Toxicity
Large amounts should be avoided in pregnancy. Cloves can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, and should be avoided by people with gastric ulcers, colitis, or irritable bowel syndrome. In overdoses, cloves can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Severe cases can lead to changes in liver function, dyspnea, loss of consciousness, hallucination, and even death.[7] The internal use of the essential oil should be restricted to 3 drops per day for an adult as excessive use can cause severe kidney damage"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clove

"Other important constituents include essential oils acetyl eugenol, beta-caryophylline and vanillin; crategolic acid; tannins, gallotannic acid, methyl salicylate (painkiller); the flavanoids eugenin, kaempferol, rhamnetin, and eugenitin; triterpenoids like oleanolic acid, stigmasterol and campesterol; and several sesquiterpenes.[9]"

hmmmm--they even contain some vanilla--they're good for the yang too

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
We could drive away Evo too, if we left a lot of cloves around (I think it was Evo who absolutely hates cloves...I used to, but in very small amounts have acquired a taste for them as a seasoning).
Gaaahh! Cloves are the work of the devil.

Evo said:

moderation---just use in moderation

rewebster said:
moderation---just use in moderation
Sorry, I cannot put nasty tooth medicine in my food.

Evo said:
Sorry, I cannot put nasty tooth medicine in my food.

That's just one use------it is used as a spice more than 'tooth medicine'

Tequila can be used as a medicine----how many people use it that way?

spray some ant poison in your sugar?

Evo said:
Why? 'cause the devil has clove-n feet?

I see you had the same toothache clove oil stuff we all used to get for sore teeth. Tasted awful, didn't work worth a darn...

Math Is Hard said:
You don't have a salt magnet?
Or an ant magnet?

Wait -- maybe you do, and that's the problem!

Fire?

I recommend blending the sugar with an equal amount of cyanide.

NeoDevin said:
I love the way that you think. :approve:

DaveC426913 said:
For the love of God, if you find ants in your sugar, toss it and buy a new bag.

You have something against protein?

Moonbear said:
get an anteater as a pet! :wink:

Oh sure... then I'd never get the wife to myself again. :rolleyes:

jim mcnamara said:
Why? 'cause the devil has clove-n feet?
Even if we did have a 'groan' smilie, I couldn't fit enough of them on one screen to cover that...

I'd just put an ant-trap in the suger jar and let them take it home to eradicate the nest. Put the real sugar somewhere else, in a sealed container as others have suggested.

david90 said:
spray some ant poison in your sugar?

tried it, don't recommend it.
My recommendation is let the ants have some sugar, it's cheap and it's not like they eat that much. So you get a few ants on your corn flakes consider it a bonus not only is it added vitamins they also don't get soggy in milk.

Danger said:
Oh sure... then I'd never get the wife to myself again. :rolleyes:

How do you keep the lines out of your name?, I'm not talking just one :rofl:

Last edited:
He pays off the mentors in chocolate.

hypatia said:
He pays off the mentors in chocolate.

Maybe he needs to be tailed, and see where, and what kind of chocolate he gets:wink:

EnumaElish said:
Or an ant magnet?

Wait -- maybe you do, and that's the problem!

I think my building is an ant magnet. Argentine ants love termites.

My Ant was getting into the bourbon

Math Is Hard said:
I think my building is an ant magnet. Argentine ants love termites.
So let them have their termites. Is there a downside (other than protein-enriched sugar)? :smile:

rewebster said:
My Ant was getting into the bourbon
:rofl: X 3

Mine is a fair Ant. (Not an Argentinian.)

Last edited:
put your sugar container into another container with a little bit of water.

rewebster said:
Feynman had a section in 'Surely, You're Joking...' about some trouble with ants.
I remember that. He had ants coming into his place and he layed a path of sugar for them to follow. They were marching in and he marched them right back out again. Then in a fit of Feynman as usual, he made a circle of sugar and had them marching around it. I suggest that you follow suit and make a trail of sugar away from the sugar bowl. Just be careful not to make a path TO the sugar bowl.

MIH, I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were still having ant problems. I found these really cool ant baits that really seem to work.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1669/antbaitha4.jpg

I was having problems with ants, and like the package said, after 24 hours, the ants were gone and have never returned, that was at least 2 months ago. I don't know if it's the poison or the ants are just afraid of these little water domes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
MIH, I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were still having ant problems. I found these really cool ant baits that really seem to work.

I was having problems with ants, and like the package said, after 24 hours, the ants were gone and have never returned, that was at least 2 months ago. I don't know if it's the poison or the ants are just afraid of these little water domes.

ohh! yes, I need them! what are they called? where did you find them?

Math Is Hard said:
ohh! yes, I need them! what are they called? where did you find them?
They're Hot Shot liquid ant bait. I got them at Walmart, they should be sold anywhere you find ant poison, which for some strange reason is always in the food section of the store. Deadly poison, food, aisle 9.

Evo said:
They're Hot Shot liquid ant bait. I got them at Walmart, they should be sold anywhere you find ant poison, which for some strange reason is always in the food section of the store. Deadly poison, food, aisle 9.

Thanks, Evo! I will definitely give that a try. The ants have been merciless this year.

In India we put some dried cloves(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clove) in the sugar box and ants don't come inside it. Even I did not believe it earlier but after putting these mixed up in sugar really helped. Give it a try.