Can anyone help w/ this fission problem?

• Thread starter smij44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fission
In summary, to release the same amount of energy as 1.87 lb of 235U undergoing fission, you would need to burn approximately 0.0048 gallons of gasoline. This can be calculated by converting the mass of 235U to moles and then using the ratio of atoms to energy released per fission reaction.
smij44
A gallon of gasoline releases 1.91×108 J of energy when it is burned. How many gallons of gas must be burned to release the same amount of energy as is released when 1.87 lb of 235U undergoes fission. (Assume that each fission reaction in 235U releases 181 MeV.)

I know this-

# gal of gas * energy= energy from fission

1.87 lbs= 2.478*10^27 amu

i thought that the answer could be found by converting 181 MeV to Joules, which equals 2.896*10^-11, multiplying that answer by the amus which equals 7.17*10^16, and then dividing it all by the energy of the gas. Apparently i am wrong however... any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many amus are there for a 235U?

smij44 said:
A gallon of gasoline releases 1.91×108 J of energy when it is burned. How many gallons of gas must be burned to release the same amount of energy as is released when 1.87 lb of 235U undergoes fission. (Assume that each fission reaction in 235U releases 181 MeV.)

I know this-

# gal of gas * energy= energy from fission

1.87 lbs= 2.478*10^27 amu

i thought that the answer could be found by converting 181 MeV to Joules, which equals 2.896*10^-11, multiplying that answer by the amus which equals 7.17*10^16, and then dividing it all by the energy of the gas. Apparently i am wrong however... any suggestions?
You mistakenly tried calculating fission energy released per amu. In fact, 235U fission produces (approx) 181 MeV per 235U atom. Your overall method is correct. Recalculate using:
a) {Mass of 1 Mole 235U} = (235 g)
b) {Number Atoms 235U in 1 Mole 235U} = (6.023e23)

~~

Last edited:
ahh... thank you very much good sir

1. What is fission and why is it important?

Fission is a nuclear reaction in which an atom splits into two or more smaller atoms, releasing a large amount of energy. It is important because it is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity and in nuclear weapons to create powerful explosions.

2. What is a fission problem and why might someone need help with it?

A fission problem is a question or scenario related to the process of nuclear fission. Someone might need help with it because it involves complex concepts and calculations that require a scientific understanding of nuclear physics.

3. How does fission work?

Fission occurs when a neutron collides with a large, unstable atom such as uranium. This collision causes the atom to split into two smaller atoms and release additional neutrons and energy. These neutrons can then collide with other atoms, causing a chain reaction and releasing even more energy.

4. What are the potential dangers of fission?

One of the main dangers of fission is the possibility of a nuclear meltdown or explosion. If the nuclear reaction is not properly controlled, it can release harmful radiation into the environment. Additionally, the waste products from nuclear fission, such as plutonium, can remain radioactive for thousands of years and pose a threat to human health and the environment if not properly stored.

5. What are some real-world applications of fission?

Aside from its use in nuclear power plants and weapons, fission has several other applications. It is used in medical treatments, such as cancer therapy and imaging, and in industrial processes, such as creating isotopes for medical and scientific research. Fission can also be used to power spacecraft and submarines.