Can Conservation of angular momentum be used?

In summary, the distance between the Earth and the sun is decreasing, so the number of days in the year is increasing.
PhysicsKid703

Homework Statement

if the distance between the Earth and the sun were to be cut in half, what would be the number of days in the year?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this question using simple centripetal force = gravitational force of attraction and then halving the radius, thus finding the new velocity and then new time period. That's is easy, and I get the right answer of 129 days.
My problem lies in a different approach. Seeing as there is no external torque, why can't we conserve angular momentum? I tried to do so and ended up with 91.25 days instead. I used the m(r x v) formula for angular momentum as it revolves around the sun and I can't seem to find out why it can't be conserved. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have asked a very good question.

Total angular momentum will be conserved. But not necessarily orbital angular momentum. The sun's rotation about its axis has to be included. Changes in the orbital angular momentum of the Earth will affect the rotation of the sun about its axis. As the Earth orbit is reduced, the sun's rotation speed will increase. It is not unlike the increase in the rate of rotation of a figure skater as he/she brings his/her arms in during a spin.

Similarly, the gradual increase of the moon's orbital radius as it orbits the Earth reduces the Earth's rotation speed. See: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae695.cfm

AM

Last edited:
Ohh wow, that is extremely interesting and something I never would have intuitively thought of. Thank you so much!

m(r v x)? isn't mrv?- thiss super interesting, I feel like if we don't consider the sun spinning in any other calculations it shouldn't affect these, but maybe in others it was just always safe to assume it satyed constant, imma try to work this out then ill come edit this post, cool thread though

Jediknight said:
m(r v x)? isn't mrv?-
For a point mass rotating about a fixed intertial point, L = m (r x v) where the x operator is the cross product. r is the radius vector from the fixed point. (r x v) = |r||v|##\sin\theta##. For circular orbit, ##\theta = \pi/2## so the orbital angular momentum is L = mrv ##\hat{r} \times \hat{v}##.

But that is just the orbital angular momentum. The angular momentum of the sun is ##L = I \omega## where I is the moment of inertia of the sun and ##\omega## is its angular speed of rotation about its axis.

Because the sun has a finite size, there are tidal effects caused by the fact that the gravitational tug of the Earth and the other planets on the sun varies slightly across the sun's surface. This causes a slight torque on sun which affects its rate of rotation. The Earth is actually moving ever so slightly away from the sun. This post provides a more detailed explanation.

AM

PhysicsKid703 said:
Ohh wow, that is extremely interesting and something I never would have intuitively thought of. Thank you so much!
Of course to actually move the Earth to a distance of half of its current orbital radius about the sun, you would have to slow it down. It is not as if the Earth is on a string that can be just reeled in. If there is no external torque (we are assuming this is a two-body problem - there is just the Earth and the sun), this can only be done by the sun applying a torque to the earth. This necessarily would have the effect of transferring some of the Earth's orbital momentum to the sun. If there is an external torque (e.g. a large body hits the Earth and slows its orbital speed) then angular momentum (sun-earth) is not conserved.

AM

That's what I had initially thought, that there must be some torque to move the sun, but I've completely understood it. Thanks!

1. Can conservation of angular momentum be used to explain the motion of planets?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torque. This law can be applied to explain the orbital motion of planets around the sun, as well as the rotation of planets on their own axis.

2. Is conservation of angular momentum only applicable to objects in circular motion?

No, the conservation of angular momentum applies to all types of motion, including linear and rotational motion. It is a general principle that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, regardless of the type of motion.

3. How does the conservation of angular momentum relate to the conservation of energy?

The conservation of angular momentum is closely related to the conservation of energy. Both laws state that the total amount of a particular physical quantity (angular momentum or energy) remains constant in a closed system. In many cases, the conservation of angular momentum can be used to derive the conservation of energy.

4. Can conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. It is considered a universal law, meaning it applies to all objects and systems in the universe.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum used in practical applications?

The conservation of angular momentum is used in a variety of practical applications, including space exploration, engineering, and daily life. For example, it is used in designing satellites and rockets, understanding the motion of spinning objects like tops and gyroscopes, and predicting the behavior of objects in collisions.