Can corrosion be transferred?

• Thread starter knight92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary, the conversation discusses the corrosion of a stainless steel sample coated with a layer that claims to improve hardness without reducing corrosion resistance. After 72 hours of salt corrosion tests, it was found that there was corrosion on the outside of the sample, but it did not spread beyond the coating layer. SEM analysis confirmed this and suggested that only the coating material experienced corrosion while improving hardness. The question of whether this corroded sample could transfer corrosion or encourage corrosion in other materials is also discussed, with the conclusion that it would likely only transfer the cause of the corrosion, not the corrosion itself. Additionally, it is noted that oxide layers, which can result from corrosion, may damage other surfaces and promote corrosion if a protective layer is abraded.
knight92
I have tested stainless steel sample coated by a layer that claims to improve the hardness of the material without reducing corrosion resistance. After 72 hours of salt corrosion tests, I have found that there was corrosion. The corrosion was on the outside it did not travel beyond the coating layer and SEM analysis confirmed this. So say only the coating material experiences some corrosion and it improves hardness with no corrosion to the base material (Stainless Steel Sample).

If this corroded sample comes into contact with another material with no corrosion can it somehow transfer corrosion or encourage corrosion of the other material?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not a materials expert at all and am just talking off the top of my head, but I don't see how that could happen. It would have to transfer the CAUSE of the corrosion.

For example, in wood, there are spores that cause what is called "spalting" (vaguely similar to corrosion in metal) and you CAN under some conditions get a second piece to spalt by transferring the spores from the first to it, but you are transferring the CAUSE of the spalting, not the spalting itself.

Oxides are usually hard and can damage other surfaces they come in contact with. The damage may promote corrosion, especially if a protective layer is abraded.

montoyas7940 said:
Oxides are usually hard and can damage other surfaces they come in contact with. The damage may promote corrosion, especially if a protective layer is abraded.
Sure, but that's not "transferring corrosion". Oh, wait ... I see the OP also asked about encouraging corrosion, so I get the thrust of your response but you are not talking about just contact, you are talking about damaging the second piece's protective layer. That could be done just as readily with a non-corroded piece.

phinds said:
That could be done just as readily with a non-corroded piece.

The OP said a layer to improve hardness. I don't know but was thinking maybe his part is a bearing of some sort. If it remains smooth it does little or no damage moving along another hard surface. But if it corrodes the oxides won't be smooth and will have a grinding action on other parts it moves along.

No way to know without more information.

1. Can corrosion be transferred through contact?

Yes, corrosion can be transferred through contact. When two different metals come into contact with each other, an electrochemical reaction can occur, leading to corrosion. This is known as galvanic corrosion.

2. Can corrosion be transferred through water or moisture?

Yes, water or moisture can accelerate the corrosion process by providing an electrolyte for the electrochemical reaction to occur. This is why metal objects left in humid environments or submerged in water are more prone to corrosion.

3. Can corrosion be transferred through air?

Yes, air can also contribute to the transfer of corrosion. Oxygen in the air can react with metals, causing oxidation and corrosion. This is why objects made of iron or steel rust when exposed to air for extended periods of time.

4. Can corrosion be transferred between different types of metals?

Yes, different types of metals can transfer corrosion to each other. This is because each metal has a different level of reactivity, and when they come into contact, an electrochemical reaction can occur, leading to corrosion.

5. Can corrosion be transferred to human skin?

Yes, corrosion can be transferred to human skin through contact with corroded objects. This can cause skin irritation and even lead to burns or infections if not treated properly. It is important to handle corroded objects with caution and wear protective gear when dealing with them.