Can Daisy Chaining Torque Motors Increase Power Output?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of torque motors in a device design and the possibility of using multiple smaller motors to achieve the necessary power. The individual suggests using industrial motors and consulting with the drive manufacturer for proper setup. The motors provided as an example may not be the perfect fit, but the concept of daisy chaining them is viable.
ktoz
Hi

I recently discovered torque motors and think they would be perfect for a device I’m designing, except for the fact that the power I need isn’t available in the size I’m looking for.

I’m wondering if two or more smaller torque motors connected to the same shaft can provide the same power as a single larger one?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably, yes.
Can you post a link to the motors you are considering.

I haven’t found a perfect fit, but these are in the ballpark size-wise: technotion.com

QTR-A-160 SERIES​

These are industrial motors, not hobby motors, so the drives (servo amplifiers) should have that capability. Program the motion profile into one drive, then program the other drive for torque following. You may need to consult with the drive manufacturer because there are some nonobvious details that are necessary to make this work.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and ktoz
OK, thanks.

Those motors may not be exactly what I need, but the daisy chaining idea is conceptually sound?

1. What is a torque motor?

A torque motor is an electric motor that is specifically designed to provide high levels of torque, or rotational force, at low speeds. It is commonly used in applications that require precise and powerful rotational movement, such as robotics, industrial machinery, and automotive systems.

2. What is daisy chaining in relation to torque motors?

Daisy chaining refers to the process of connecting multiple torque motors in a series, with the output shaft of one motor connected to the input shaft of the next. This allows for a cumulative increase in torque output, making it a useful technique for achieving even greater levels of rotational force.

3. What are the benefits of daisy chaining torque motors?

Daisy chaining torque motors offers several benefits, including increased torque output, improved precision and control, and reduced space and wiring requirements. It also allows for more flexibility in design and can save on costs by using fewer motors.

4. What are some common applications of daisy chaining torque motors?

Daisy chaining torque motors is commonly used in various industrial and manufacturing processes, such as conveyor systems, packaging machinery, and assembly lines. It is also used in robotics and automation, as well as in the automotive and aerospace industries.

5. What should be considered when daisy chaining torque motors?

When daisy chaining torque motors, it is important to consider the torque and speed requirements of the application, the compatibility of the motors, and the power supply and control system. It is also important to ensure proper alignment and maintenance of the motors to avoid any issues with performance or efficiency.