Can dogs or cats survive in zero gravity without human assitance?

In summary, the experiments involving animals in space have mainly focused on their survivability in captivity with human assistance. However, these experiments have not answered the bigger questions of space colonization. While some may argue that bees have been shown to produce honey in orbit and therefore can survive in space, this does not take into account the unique challenges of zero gravity and the need for bees to orient themselves using the sun. Similarly, dogs and cats may have been able to survive short trips in space, but living in prolonged zero gravity conditions would result in significant medical problems. Furthermore, the need for animals in space colonization is questionable. While training or raising animals in zero gravity may be possible, it is not necessary for the success of space exploration."
Vinni
The kinds of experiments involving animals in space have only answered simple questions of survivability in captivity where human assistance is at hand. The big problems of space colonization have yet to be answered. I thought up this question when someone on this forum posted a response to my question of a large scale hydroponic space experiment where they answered the experiment could be conducted on earth! But subtly a ground base experiment could not answer some important questions. For instance the issue of pollination could be problematic on a large scale using artificial means, like say fans that blow air with sufficient force to move pollen. So the next approach would be bees. But can bees survive in zero gravity, and in orbit where the sun zips across a dome every fifteen minutes? Remember bees use the sun to orient themselves to return to their hive or food cache.

Some jump to the immediate conclusion that because bees have been placed in orbit and shown to produce honey that the question of their survival in orbit has already been answered. But just as orbiting dogs and cats proved that these animals survived the trip they did so in a very controlled way. If you think about it a dog or cat on the ISS just floating around is going to have a real hard time. Because the animal cannot grasp handles it would be impossible for it to have any kind of control over its location and movement on the space station! The animals ability to just travel to its food pouch is impossible, in fact such a space trip for the animal would create a lot of anxiety and perhaps even depression because it cannot move about freely. So in the end can dogs and cats really survive in zero gravity?

But the more important question for the colonization of space is can bees or some other pollinator survive in zero gravity? Can the bees orient themselves so they do not become confused as to where their hive is located? A good experiment for hydroponics and the issue of pollinating is a decent size sphere, perhaps 50 ft in diameter, something large enough where bees could find it difficult to return to their hive and has a scale of efficacy for filtering water and air.

Biology news on Phys.org
I doubt bees could thrive in space as their waggle dance communication is dependent on the position of the sun and orientation in gravity. As for the rest of your post I would say no, animals like cats and dogs could not survive well on their own in freefall. A bigger issue though is the long term medical problems associated with living in such conditions.

Some related (albeit random) thoughts.

Bees relate their position to the Sun - so if the Sun revolves around their world too fast, they will be lost (ignoring gravity problem). But if they were given a constant, artificial light, problem could disappear.

I wonder what would happen to dogs raised in the zero gravity. While there is no doubt they have not evolved to live in such conditions, brain is pretty plastic when it comes to deal with handicaps (think three legged dogs, think people who lost their fingers and so on - in most cases when the loss is not too severe brain learns how to deal with the situation). Could be dogs that were trained by living in zero gravity would learn to deal with the situation quite effectively.

And foremost... why do you think we need dogs for the colonization of space? :bugeye:

Although even with the constant source of light there would be problems, bees work out direction based on the angle of the sun in the sky. Without gravity there is no up or down so the angle would be different for different bees.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is how mammalian development is affected by microgravity. IIRC there may be considerable problems.

I don't know about bees but mammals can have a tough time living in zero gravity. Extended periods without exercise can lead to bone degeneration and muscle atrophy and that includes heart muscle. Sure like Borek said dogs can be trained or raised in a zero-g environment although I don't know if once trained they will continue to follow their exercise routine (Dog owners, any comments?). All this would not be necessary of course if the animals do not have to return to Earth.

Most of the dogs I have known could not survive on Earth without human assistance. They can't operate can openers :biggrin:. So I can't see how they'd survive in zero gravity without humans.

Also, Borek's question is valid: why would we need dogs in space?

I doubt bees would have much of a navigation problem in any realistic zeroG scenario. Not a lot of ten-acre fields in space. Any area where they were set up to get pollen would be small enough that they would have the run of the whole area on one trip. No need for dances.

Not to mention the issues with urinating and defecating...

Ms Music said:
Not to mention the issues with urinating and defecating...
:yuck:

Rhody...

lisab said:
Also, Borek's question is valid: why would we need dogs in space?
We can hardly venture into the vastness of space without Man's Best Friend.

More to the point, if you raised the humidity in the habitat to 100% would a fish be able to survive? Damp gills may be sufficient to absorb enough oxygen and I suspect they would have no trouble 'swimming' around. (Of course there are those worrying toilet habits to consider.)

Or there is this option: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pigs+in+space&qpvt=pigs+in+space&FORM=VDRE#"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can dogs or cats survive in zero gravity without human assistance?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that dogs or cats can survive in zero gravity without human assistance. Animals have not been sent into space without human supervision, and the effects of zero gravity on their bodies have not been thoroughly studied.

2. What challenges would dogs or cats face in zero gravity?

Without gravity, dogs and cats would struggle to move and navigate in their environment. They may experience disorientation and difficulty in controlling their movements. Additionally, their bodies may have a hard time adapting to the lack of gravity, as their bones, muscles, and internal systems are designed to function in a gravitational environment.

3. Would dogs or cats need special equipment to survive in zero gravity?

It is likely that dogs and cats would require specialized equipment in order to survive in zero gravity. This could include protective suits to regulate their body temperature and provide oxygen, as well as harnesses and restraints to help them move and stay in place. However, these types of equipment have not yet been developed for animals.

4. How would dogs or cats be affected by prolonged exposure to zero gravity?

Prolonged exposure to zero gravity would likely have negative effects on dogs and cats. They may experience muscle atrophy and loss of bone density, as well as changes in their metabolism and immune system. These effects could be detrimental to their overall health and well-being.

5. Is there any research being done on the possibility of dogs or cats surviving in zero gravity?

While there is currently no research being done specifically on dogs or cats surviving in zero gravity, there is ongoing research on the effects of microgravity on animals in general. This research may provide valuable insights on the potential for animals to survive in zero gravity in the future.