Can Entropy Decrease in Endothermic Reactions?

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system and can be decreased with the input of energy or work. In isolated systems, entropy always increases. It is related to the second law of thermodynamics which states that the entropy of a closed system always increases. Living organisms are able to decrease entropy within themselves by taking in energy from their surroundings. In information theory, entropy is a measure of uncertainty and is closely related to the amount of information that is missing in a system. Higher entropy means higher uncertainty and less information.
TT0
I forgot where I saw it but recently I saw somewhere that entropy decreases in endothermic reactions. On other sites however, they say that entropy can only increase and not decrease. Can someone tell me which is right?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Both are right. The entropy of a closed system can increase of decrease, depending on what is done to it between its initial equilibrium state and its final equilibrium state. But, for the system plus the surroundings as a whole, the combined entropy can only increase (or in a reversible process, stay constant).

Likes TT0
I see, thanks

1. Can entropy be decreased?

The short answer is yes, entropy can be decreased in certain systems. However, this is only possible with the input of energy or work. In isolated systems, entropy always increases.

2. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

3. Is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

Yes, the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This is known as the law of increasing entropy.

4. Can we decrease entropy in a living organism?

Yes, living organisms are able to decrease entropy within their own bodies by taking in energy from their surroundings and using it to maintain and increase order.

5. How does entropy relate to the concept of information?

Entropy and information are closely related. In information theory, entropy is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness of a system, and can also be interpreted as the amount of information that is missing. Higher entropy means higher uncertainty and less information.