Can I Calculate Temperature Release from Energy Change in a Body?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular momentum and kinetic energy in a rotating sphere. It is noted that there can be complexities in calculating the change in kinetic energy and the resulting temperature, as it depends on factors such as the object's rigidity and interactions with other objects. More information is needed to accurately estimate the change in kinetic energy and temperature in this scenario.
cptolemy
Hi,

I would like to ask a question, if I may: if I have a body with a calculated Inertial moment at time t0, that in a space of time delta t changes, there's a variation in its kinetic energy, right?

How can I calculate the released temperature in that elapsed time? Is that energy all lost in temperature?

If yes, do I convert only the Joules to Celsius?

Kind regards,

Kepler

Science news on Phys.org
There is such a thing as conservation of angular momentum. If you change ##I##, ##I\omega## is constant, so apparently ##{1\over 2} I\omega^2## changes. That means some work has been done. I don't see a direct relation with temperature (negative work can also be converted to spring energy, for example).

Anyway, temperature is not something you can 'release'. But yes, energy can be converted into heat (thermal energy). The change in temperature then depends on specific heat and your 'conversion' looks like ##\Delta E = mc_p\Delta T##

There can be complexities here. We are not told that the object is rigidly rotating. If you take a skater with her arms pulled in close to the body and she then extends the arms then indeed, moment of inertia has increased, rotational kinetic energy given by ##\frac{1}{2}I \omega ^2## has been lost and likely converted into heat.

But if you instead simply chop the skater's arms off, the resulting motion is no longer a rigid rotation, kinetic energy is no longer calculated as ##\frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2##. The moment of inertia can still be calculated and has still increased, but there is no change in kinetic energy and no increase in heat.

Good morning,

Thanks for the help. Let's supose a sphere rotating around its axis at a velocity w0. It will have a KE1=1/2*I*w0^2. Supose that in an interval delta t, the axis velocity decreases to w1: KE2 = 1/2*I*w1^2. So delta KE = 1/2*I*(w0^2 - w1^2) in the time interval delta t. Is this correct?

If yes, how do I estimate this variation in the KE in terms of temperature?

Kind regards,

Kepler

cptolemy said:
If yes, how do I estimate this variation in the KE in terms of temperature?
There's no good answer without more infomation. Something had to interact with the sphere to carry away the excess angular momentum, but that interaction will also have transferred some kinetic energy from the sphere to the whatever else was involved in the interaction, and that energy will not be available to heat the sphere. Without the details the interaction there's no way of knowing how much of the change in kinetic energy went to heat the sphere and how much went somewhere else.

And even when (if) you know how much heat went into the sphere, you still need information about the sphere thermal properties and about boundary conditions in order to find a temperature. It may be a temperature distribution rather than a single value.

1. What is the relationship between energy release and temperature?

The relationship between energy release and temperature is a direct one. As temperature increases, the amount of energy released also increases. This is because the kinetic energy of particles also increases with temperature, leading to more frequent collisions and a higher rate of energy release.

2. How is energy released at different temperatures?

Energy can be released in various ways at different temperatures. At high temperatures, energy is often released through chemical reactions, such as combustion. At lower temperatures, energy can be released through physical processes, such as evaporation or condensation.

3. Can energy be released without a change in temperature?

Yes, energy can be released without a change in temperature. This is known as an exothermic reaction, where energy is released in the form of heat but the overall temperature remains constant. This is often seen in chemical reactions.

4. How does energy release affect the surrounding environment?

The effects of energy release on the surrounding environment depend on the type and amount of energy being released. Energy release from fossil fuels, for example, can contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, energy release from renewable sources, such as solar or wind, has a much lower impact on the environment.

5. Can temperature be used to control energy release?

Yes, temperature can be used to control energy release. By adjusting the temperature, it is possible to speed up or slow down chemical reactions, and therefore control the rate of energy release. This is often used in industrial processes to optimize efficiency and safety.