Can I Pursue an Astronomy MS After Completing a Physics MS?

In summary, the conversation is about someone in a MS program in Physics who is considering teaching both physics and astronomy. They are unsure if they should pursue a PhD or get a masters degree in astronomy to learn more. The advice given is to push for the PhD if they want to teach, as teaching positions are competitive even at the community college level and having experience in public schools may help with future job opportunities.
astrogal19
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a MS program in Physics and I do astronomy research.
I've always wanted to get a phd, but with the outlooks of actually getting an astronomy job... I've started to consider teaching.

I'd like to teach both physics and astronomy (preferably astronomy). I understand that with a Masters degree in Physics I can teach astronomy. I have taken a few astro courses and feel like my knowledge is more than competent to teach the typical courses in a community college, but i want to know so much more!

So: my question is. It is crazy/possible to get a masters degree in astronomy (after my phys degree) in order to learn more. A lot of people think the two degrees are too similar, and i probably wouldn't get into a masters in astro for this reason. :/

Would love any advice out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advise to push through for the PhD if you want to teach. Teaching spots are very competitive even at the community college level. Permanent positions are rare. I speak as somebody with a masters only who has applied for numerous temporary teaching positions. At the community colleges I tutored at in the past they would get a great many applications for their open math and science teaching positions. Also, those with teaching experience at high school or middle school might have an upper hand. So consider teaching public schools after getting your masters as a way to bolster your resume for a future community college job.

1. What is the difference between a Physics MS and an Astro MS?

A Physics MS primarily focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world, while an Astro MS focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena. Physics MS programs typically cover a broader range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, while Astro MS programs delve deeper into topics like astrophysics, cosmology, and planetary science.

2. Can I pursue a Physics MS or Astro MS with a non-physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Physics MS or Astro MS with a non-physics undergraduate degree. However, you may be required to complete some prerequisite courses in physics and mathematics before being admitted to the program. It is also important to have a strong foundation in these subjects to succeed in a graduate program in physics or astronomy.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Physics MS or Astro MS?

Graduates with a Physics MS or Astro MS have a wide range of career options, including research and development in government or private institutions, teaching at the high school or college level, data analysis and modeling in the technology industry, and working in the aerospace and defense sectors. These degrees also provide a strong foundation for pursuing a PhD in physics or astronomy.

4. How long does it take to complete a Physics MS or Astro MS program?

The typical length of a Physics MS or Astro MS program is 2 years if pursued full-time. However, some programs may offer an accelerated track or part-time options, which can affect the length of the program. It is important to check with individual universities for their specific program duration.

5. What skills are necessary for success in a Physics MS or Astro MS program?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential for success in a Physics MS or Astro MS program. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail and a passion for research, are important. Good communication skills are also necessary, as physics and astronomy often involve collaborations and presenting findings to others.