Can I replace a 4 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm power resistor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a passive filter and a 4 ohm power resistor to adjust the tone of a speaker. It is suggested that using a passive filter may not be necessary and it would be easier and cheaper to adjust the tone controls on the amplifier. The speaker can also be adjusted by replacing the tweeter with a 4 ohm resistor. The potential effects of using a passive filter on the speaker's power are also addressed.
pkc111
TL;DR Summary
I have a single speaker powered by an off the shelf rechargeable boom-box. The speaker is 4 ohm 10W and I want to take the treble out completely as I am going to use it to drive a Ruben's tube. I was thinking of using a 2 way lowpass passive filter from Amazon inline before the speaker. I have read that they only work if there are 2 speakers connected, so would it work if I placed a 4 ohm power resistor across the tweeter speaker terminals and just used my speaker across the bass terminals?
Also would a passive filter add much resistance to the circuit and rob the speaker of power?
Here is the 2 way lowpass filter I was thinking of. I don't need 2 of these obviously but they seem to come as a pair.
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07R613YSK/

Engineering news on Phys.org
so would it work if I placed a 4 ohm power resistor across the tweeter speaker terminals and just used my speaker across the bass terminals?
Yes, but usually not needed.
You could just not connect the Tweeter terminals at all. Or even short them if really needed.

Much easier/cheaper to adjust the tone controls on the amplifier.

Cheers,
Tom

pkc111 said:
I have read that they only work if there are 2 speakers connected, so would it work if I placed a 4 ohm power resistor across the tweeter speaker terminals and just used my speaker across the bass terminals?
Replace the tweeter with an approximately 4 ohm resistor. It is not critical, 3R9 or 4R7 would work OK.

pkc111 said:
Also would a passive filter add much resistance to the circuit and rob the speaker of power?
No. The losses in the filter are small.

Thank you so much!
I agree the tone adjustment on the amp would be easier.. but it doesn't have one. Its the Tribit Stormbox
https://www.tribit.com/products/Tribit-StormBox-Portable-Speaker-Black

1. What is the purpose of replacing a 4 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm power resistor?

The purpose of replacing a 4 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm power resistor is to simulate the load of a speaker for testing or troubleshooting purposes. It is not a permanent solution and should only be done temporarily.

2. Can I replace any speaker with a 4 ohm power resistor?

No, you should only replace a speaker with a 4 ohm power resistor if the speaker you are replacing is also 4 ohms. Using a power resistor with a different impedance can cause damage to your audio system.

3. How do I know if my speaker is 4 ohms?

You can check the specifications of your speaker or use a multimeter to measure the impedance. The impedance is typically labeled on the back of the speaker or in the user manual.

4. Will using a 4 ohm power resistor affect the sound quality?

Yes, using a power resistor instead of a speaker will affect the sound quality. The power resistor is not designed to produce sound and may not accurately simulate the load of a speaker. It is recommended to use a speaker for the best sound quality.

5. Can I use a power resistor as a permanent replacement for a speaker?

No, a power resistor is not a suitable replacement for a speaker. It is not designed to produce sound and may not accurately simulate the load of a speaker. It is only recommended for temporary use for testing or troubleshooting purposes.