Can I Use My Own Router with Verizon FIOS?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networks
In summary, the Actiontec router provided by Verizon is not compatible with the Linksys WRT160N router, and the connection between the two routers often drops.
russ_watters
Mentor
I have Verizon FIOS and the service is great, but along with that service, they provide a crappy router (Actiontec MI424) that you must use. I would like to just use it as the internet connection and use my Linksys WRT160N to network my devices together inside my house. Unfortunately, they don't play nice together.

I am able to successfully establish a connection between the Linksys and Actiontec routers for about 5 seconds at a time before the connection drops. In the Linksys administration applet, I can refresh my IP address, load a website or two, then *poof*, connection gone.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Right, I have a dual router setup and had similar problems.

Firstly, your 'good' router, does it have dedicated internet in ethernet port?

The basic solution I found is to disable DHCP on the second (the good) router and plug the internet in cable (the cable from the first router) into a standard ethernet port not the internet in one. This then forces the first router to distrubute the ip addresses and the second one simply acts as an extension of the first.

If you don't disable DHCP, they both try to generate IP addresses which caused problems for me.

That should solve it, if not I have a few other things to try.

Is your MAC address registered with the ISP? Some ISPs still have one-computer, one-IP policies (even though they frequently provide routers, tout the "household experience", etc. etc.) Many routers allow you to clone a MAC address--if your computer works when you plug it in directly to their router/modem/whatsit, it might be worth it to try to clone the MAC address of the computer for the router you WANT to use.

According to the website, there's an actual "Internet" uplink port, but I assume that you've got that plugged in and going to your Actiontec already (using a known good ethernet cable)?
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160N

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, I should have searched first - Verizon had a good tutorial and this was basically the solution:
jarednjames said:
The basic solution I found is to disable DHCP on the second (the good) router and plug the internet in cable (the cable from the first router) into a standard ethernet port not the internet in one. This then forces the first router to distrubute the ip addresses and the second one simply acts as an extension of the first.

If you don't disable DHCP, they both try to generate IP addresses which caused problems for me.

That should solve it, if not I have a few other things to try.

russ_watters said:
Meh, I should have searched first - Verizon had a good tutorial and this was basically the solution:

Well, I'm glad the potential for me to help you was there... :smile:

Related to Can I Use My Own Router with Verizon FIOS?

1. What is the "Bridging Networks Problem"?

The "Bridging Networks Problem" refers to the challenge of connecting two or more networks that use different communication protocols or technologies. This can occur when trying to connect networks from different organizations or when upgrading to new technologies.

2. Why is the "Bridging Networks Problem" important?

The "Bridging Networks Problem" is important because it allows for the exchange of information and resources between different networks, which is crucial for communication and collaboration between organizations and individuals. Without a solution to this problem, networks would be isolated and unable to communicate with each other.

3. What are some common solutions to the "Bridging Networks Problem"?

Some common solutions to the "Bridging Networks Problem" include using networking devices such as routers, bridges, and gateways to translate and route data between networks. Another solution is to use network protocols that are compatible with both networks, such as TCP/IP.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to bridging networks?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations when bridging networks. One challenge is ensuring compatibility between the different networks and protocols, which may require additional equipment and setup. Additionally, bridging can introduce security risks and may require additional network maintenance and monitoring.

5. How can the "Bridging Networks Problem" be avoided?

The "Bridging Networks Problem" can be avoided by carefully planning and designing networks to be compatible with each other. This can include using standardized protocols and technologies, as well as regularly updating and maintaining network infrastructure. It can also be helpful to have a clear understanding of the potential challenges and limitations of bridging networks and plan accordingly.