Can LED bulbs be safely used in motorcycles without additional modifications?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of changing incandescent bulbs to LED in a motorcycle. The speaker mentions that LEDs and their circuitry come in different forms and that it is important to find one that fits the desired power source. Option C, putting a current limiting resistor in series with the LED, is suggested for indicator lights, while more energy efficient options should be considered for brighter lights. The speaker also mentions the possibility of needing a flyback diode and a blocking capacitor for safety reasons. Finally, it is advised that the modification should only be made with the appropriate knowledge and consideration for safety.
John1397
I have a small motorcycle and have changed the incandescent bulbs to LED. It seems the bulbs were powered by AC off the magneto generator and AC thru the rectifier powered the 6 volt battery.
Is it ok to run LED this way or should I add diodes like in option a or b of diagram?

Attachments

• How To.jpg
    How To.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 411
  • C100.jpg
    C100.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 418
Engineering news on Phys.org
LEDs and their supporting circuitry, come in many forms. You can buy LEDs for AC or DC and for many voltage levels. You need to find one that fits the way you want to power it.

Option C.

Put a current limiting resistor in series with the LED. At least if this is an indicator light.

If it's a brighter light (headlamp, tail light, etc.) you might want to consider more energy efficient options.

You might also need a flyback diode (option A) if the line is noisy from the spark plug.

Option 0.

If your LED units are rated at 6 vdc, you are set. They'll just blink imperceptibly fast.

Your options A & B in your first image make little sense to me. Option A looks like a short circuit.

Is the second image a diagram of your motorcycle's wiring?

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
On second thought, I have to agree with OmCheeto here. :blushing: You do not have the required background to be making this modification. The parts need to be selected with the right values. Additional parts may be needed (such as a blocking capacitor for the flyback if a flyback is needed). And then there's the safety issue of modifying something away from the manufacturer's specifications.

We really can't reverse engineer equipment we can't see when people may be harmed by our decisions.

What is the difference between traditional bulbs and LED bulbs?

The main difference between traditional bulbs and LED bulbs is the way they produce light. Traditional bulbs use a filament that heats up and produces light, while LED bulbs use a semiconductor material that converts electricity into light. This makes LED bulbs more energy-efficient and longer-lasting than traditional bulbs.

Do I need to replace my current fixtures to switch to LED bulbs?

In most cases, you do not need to replace your fixtures to switch to LED bulbs. LED bulbs are designed to fit into standard light fixtures. However, it is important to check the size and shape of your current bulbs and make sure they are compatible with LED bulbs.

How do I know what wattage LED bulb to use?

To determine the wattage of LED bulb to use, you should first look at the wattage of your current bulbs. LED bulbs use less energy than traditional bulbs, so you can typically choose an LED bulb with a lower wattage. For example, if your current bulb is 60 watts, you can switch to an LED bulb that is 40 watts.

Can I dim LED bulbs?

Not all LED bulbs are dimmable, so it is important to check the packaging or product specifications before purchasing. If the LED bulb is dimmable, you will also need to make sure your current dimmer switch is compatible. Some LED bulbs require specific dimmer switches in order to be dimmed properly.

Are there any benefits to switching to LED bulbs?

There are many benefits to switching to LED bulbs. They are more energy-efficient, longer-lasting, and produce less heat than traditional bulbs. This can result in cost savings on your energy bill and less frequent bulb replacements. Additionally, LED bulbs do not contain mercury, making them a more environmentally friendly option.