Can Online Courses Alone Help Me Get a Data Job?

In summary, the individual is considering taking online courses, specifically on Udemy, to add value to their CV and potentially show employers their knowledge in a new field - Data Science. However, there is uncertainty about whether these courses alone will make the individual a qualified candidate or if they need to complete additional projects. The individual has a background in Electrical and Computer Engineering with some programming experience in MATLAB, C++, and C#, and is currently learning R and Python. They also have a strong background in statistics due to their focus on wireless communications. Despite applying to numerous data field positions, they have not been called for many interviews.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I'm thinking to take some online courses like on Udemy, but I am not sure if this will add value to my CV by itself or I need to do some projects on the topic of interest to show employers what I know. What do you think?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For clarification: I first posted this on career guidance because it is pertaining to finding a job. I didn't go into much details, but I want to find a job in a field in which I have no practical experience or official credentials. The new field is Data Science, and my background is Electrical and Computer Engineering.

S_David said:
For clarification: I first posted this on career guidance because it is pertaining to finding a job. I didn't go into much details, but I want to find a job in a field in which I have no practical experience or official credentials. The new field is Data Science, and my background is Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Depending on your background in EE and CPE I wouldn't say you have no practical experience...

If you have a strong programming background you are in a close parallel field. I know more than a few EEs that moved to the data field.
Even if you are a hardware engineer, the background can be similar. For example if you have experience working with large (referring to the data) MATLAB simulations.

The issue with online courses is the standards they are held to and the standards you are held to when given a pass fail. The issue is the amount of rigor. But they will show one thing... You have a strong desire to move into that field. I don't know if they will actually show that you are a qualified candidate, but they will (hopefully) teach you the skills you need to succeed in the field

Do you currently work? Are you a student? are you looking for a job out of school but haven't found one yet?

Likes EngWiPy
I have some programming backgrounds in MATLAB (during my mater and PhD degrees) and C++ and C# (during my bachelor's degree). I am learning R and Python. I don't know SQL, yet. My background in EE is wireless communications, and thus I have a strong background in statistics. I think I have the backgrounds the will help me in the data field. I applied to many positions in the data field (junior and senior) , but all seem to think I am not qualified to even be called for an interview (I had just one phone interview)! Currently, I am not working. I finished school, and worked as a postdoc for 2 years. I am searching for a full-time position in the job market.

1. What types of online courses or projects are available?

Online courses and projects cover a wide range of subjects and fields, such as computer programming, language learning, business management, and creative arts. There are also specialized courses and projects for specific industries or skills.

2. How do online courses or projects differ from traditional in-person courses or projects?

Online courses and projects offer the flexibility of learning from anywhere at any time, while traditional in-person courses and projects require attending classes or meetings at specific times and locations. Online courses and projects also often have a more self-paced structure and utilize digital tools for communication and collaboration.

3. Are online courses or projects accredited?

Many online courses and projects are accredited by reputable institutions and organizations. However, it is important to research and verify the accreditation of a specific course or project before enrolling to ensure its legitimacy and recognition.

4. How do I know if online courses or projects are right for me?

Online courses and projects can be a great option for those who have busy schedules, prefer a more self-directed learning style, or want to learn from experts and peers from different locations. It is important to consider your learning style, goals, and available resources before deciding if online courses or projects are the best fit for you.

5. How can I make the most out of an online course or project?

To make the most out of an online course or project, it is important to stay organized, set goals, and actively participate in discussions and activities. Utilize the resources provided by the course or project, and reach out to instructors or peers for help and feedback when needed. Time management and self-motivation are also key to successfully completing an online course or project.