Can rechargable Li-ion batteries be rebuilt?

In summary, rechargeable Li-ion batteries in electric cars can go bad after multiple cycles. The main components of the battery are the anode, cathode, and organic solvent, with the anode and cathode being the most prone to problems. Faradaic reactions drive the charge/discharge cycle, but when pieces of the anode or cathode break off, the battery's capacity decreases. While it is possible to reuse lithium and other materials, it would be more like creating a new battery rather than fixing the old one. Therefore, recycling the battery is the best option.
Mike94
After so many cycles, rechargeable Li-ion batteries powering electric cars go bad. This I know.

I am wondering what goes bad? Is it the electrolyte, the electrodes, or both? And in general, could it be possible to take these degraded battery components and fix them?

Thanks in Advance!
Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what it is that goes bad, but reusing lithium (and some other materials, depending on the battery type) is definitely possible. But it is more like "making a completely new battery" than "fixing the old one".

I suppose you can, but I don't think it is worthwhile.

Faradaic reactions are what drives the charge/discharge cycle. When charging, Li+ ions become Lithium metal on the cathode surface. When discharging, Lithium metal releases electrons as it is dissolves into the organic solvent, back to Li+. Then these Li+ ions get into small spaces in the graphene anode. So there are three main components to the battery, right? The anode, the cathode, and the organic solvent. Typically "cycling performance" is associated with the anode or the cathode because they are where most of the problems occur. One way performance can decrease over cycles is when a piece of the cathode or anode breaks off, carrying along with it some lithium on it. This piece is no longer part of the circuit and can't participate in the Faradaic reactions - leading to smaller capacity of the battery. Anodes and cathodes are also the more expensive components, which is why I don't think repairing a battery is an option. You should definitely recycle it though!

[Edit: It is a graphene anode, not graphite.]

1. Can rechargable Li-ion batteries be rebuilt?

Yes, rechargable Li-ion batteries can be rebuilt. However, it is a complicated process and should only be done by trained professionals.

2. Why would someone want to rebuild a Li-ion battery instead of buying a new one?

Rebuilding a Li-ion battery can be more cost-effective than buying a new one. It is also better for the environment as it reduces the amount of electronic waste.

3. What are the common reasons for Li-ion battery failure?

The common reasons for Li-ion battery failure include overcharging, high temperatures, and aging. These factors can cause damage to the battery cells, leading to a decrease in performance or complete failure.

4. Is it safe to rebuild a Li-ion battery?

Yes, it is safe to rebuild a Li-ion battery as long as it is done by trained professionals following proper safety procedures. It is important to use high-quality replacement cells and equipment to ensure the safety and performance of the rebuilt battery.

5. How long does it take to rebuild a Li-ion battery?

The time it takes to rebuild a Li-ion battery can vary depending on the complexity of the battery and the availability of replacement cells. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to rebuild a Li-ion battery.