Can Sitting for Long Hours Lead to Permanent Health Problems?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of sitting in front of a computer for extended periods of time and the resulting pain in the arms and legs. The medical recommendation is to exercise, but the person is wondering if their health will fully return to its previous state. The response suggests that exercising can improve their health, but it is best to seek professional help for specific advice. A recommended article on the topic is also provided.
Tio Barnabe
I have been sitting in front of a computer for more than 10 hours/day for about three years. I feel considerable pain in my arms and legs all the time, although they appear more serious during the night. The medical recommendation is to do exercises. My question is, if I exercise myself from now on, is it likely that my health be as it was before I started the mentioned routine, or will I have some permanent disease regardless of what I do from now on?

Biology news on Phys.org
It is not a disease.
If you exercise, your health won't likely return as it was before, but it will get way better and closer as it was originally.
Exercising is the best advice, but it could help if you sit down less...

Likes Tio Barnabe

What is "disease from sitting too long"?

"Disease from sitting too long" refers to a range of health conditions that can develop due to prolonged periods of sitting or a sedentary lifestyle.

What are the common symptoms of disease from sitting too long?

The most common symptoms of disease from sitting too long include back pain, neck pain, stiffness, muscle tension, and headaches. In more severe cases, individuals may also experience numbness or tingling in their extremities and decreased mobility.

What are the health risks associated with sitting for long periods of time?

Sitting for extended periods of time can increase the risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and certain types of cancer. It can also lead to poor posture, decreased muscle strength and flexibility, and reduced bone density.

How can I prevent disease from sitting too long?

To prevent disease from sitting too long, it is important to incorporate regular physical activity into your daily routine. This can include taking breaks to stand and move around, using a standing desk or exercise ball, and engaging in regular exercise such as walking, jogging, or strength training.

Can disease from sitting too long be reversed?

While the effects of prolonged sitting can be detrimental to one's health, it is possible to reverse or mitigate these effects by incorporating more physical activity into daily routines. This can help improve posture, increase muscle strength, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases associated with a sedentary lifestyle.