Can someone check my answers to these four wave questions

• Thread starter question dude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, you provided a summary of the conversation which included questions and answers discussing a diagram and the concept of wavefront gaps. You also clarified that the wavefront gaps would be smaller for refracted waves and that it is not possible for the incident wave to be refracted to the direction of the blue arrow.
question dude
My textbook didn't include answers to these questions at the back.

Question 1:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199004.jpg

my answer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199005&d=1361388367.jpg

Question 2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199007&d=1361390989.jpg

my answer:

part A and B of the question are shown by wavefronts A and B in the picture below,

attachment.php?attachmentid=199008&d=1361391008.jpg

Question 3:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199009&d=1361391020.jpg

my answer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199010&d=1361391061.jpg

and just out of curiousity, if the direction of the refracted wave were closer to the direction of the incident waves than the boundary normal, would the gap between the wavefronts be bigger?

Question 4:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199011&d=1361391082.jpg

my answers:

a) reduced diffraction
b) increased diffraction
c) increased diffraction
d) I'm not sure here. Doesn't this depend on exactly how much the gap is widened by and how long the wavelengths have been increased to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good over all. Some specific comments:

2. I would say you are correct for a rough sketch. A more accurate drawing would show different amounts of curvature for the two waves -- probably not required for full credit/marks here, but that is ultimately up to your instructor.

3. No, the gaps would not be bigger than they are in the incident wave. Think about it: if the refracted wave were in the exact same direction as the incident wave, how would the wavefront gaps compare to those in the incident wave? (I.e., would they be larger, smaller, or the same?)

4-d. You are correct. There is a slight chance that your instructor or the question writer meant the answer to be "no change", but as you said you really can't determine this without knowing the amounts by which the two quantities were changed.

Good job.

Redbelly98 said:
Looks good over all. Some specific comments:

2. I would say you are correct for a rough sketch. A more accurate drawing would show different amounts of curvature for the two waves -- probably not required for full credit/marks here, but that is ultimately up to your instructor.

can I ask what you mean by that? haven't I done that in the diagram? :confused:

Redbelly98 said:
3. No, the gaps would not be bigger than they are in the incident wave. Think about it: if the refracted wave were in the exact same direction as the incident wave, how would the wavefront gaps compare to those in the incident wave? (I.e., would they be larger, smaller, or the same?)

So for question 3, have I drawn it correctly then? (the gaps would be smaller for the refracted waves)

I assume what you've written here is in reply to my query: ''and just out of curiousity, if the direction of the refracted wave were closer to the direction of the incident waves than the boundary normal, would the gap between the wavefronts be bigger?''

anyway to answer you, if refracted waves were in the same direction as the incident wave, then the wavefront gaps would be the same, right?

You know, I think my query was phrased awkwardly, here's what I want to ask with a diagram to help:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199054.jpg

if the refracted direction is the purple arrow (so that wave direction would be further away from the normal than the incident direction), then would the wavefront gaps be bigger?

and also, is it possible for the incident wave to be refracted to the direction of the blue arrow? If it is, how would the gaps between the refracted wavefronts differ from the gaps in the incident waves?

Last edited:
question dude said:
can I ask what you mean by that? haven't I done that in the diagram? :confused:
In the diagram, the two waves seem to have the same amount of curvature. Probably okay, since they just ask for a sketch, but in reality wave B would be less curved than wave A, having traveled for a longer time.

So for question 3, have I drawn it correctly then? (the gaps would be smaller for the refracted waves)
Yes, sorry I did not clarify that. You did draw it correctly.

I assume what you've written here is in reply to my query: ''and just out of curiousity, if the direction of the refracted wave were closer to the direction of the incident waves than the boundary normal, would the gap between the wavefronts be bigger?''
Yes.
anyway to answer you, if refracted waves were in the same direction as the incident wave, then the wavefront gaps would be the same, right?
Yes.
You know, I think my query was phrased awkwardly, here's what I want to ask with a diagram to help:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199054.jpg

if the refracted direction is the purple arrow (so that wave direction would be further away from the normal than the incident direction), then would the wavefront gaps be bigger?
Yes.
and also, is it possible for the incident wave to be refracted to the direction of the blue arrow? If it is, how would the gaps between the refracted wavefronts differ from the gaps in the incident waves?
Nope, it's not possible. The angle θ2 in your figure must be between 0 and 90O; it can't become negative and result in the blue ray.

Redbelly98 said:
In the diagram, the two waves seem to have the same amount of curvature. Probably okay, since they just ask for a sketch, but in reality wave B would be less curved than wave A, having traveled for a longer time.

Yes, sorry I did not clarify that. You did draw it correctly.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Nope, it's not possible. The angle θ2 in your figure must be between 0 and 90O; it can't become negative and result in the blue ray.

Thank you so much for the help

1. How can I check my answers to wave questions?

To check your answers to wave questions, you can compare them to the correct answers provided in the answer key or ask a peer or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about my answers to wave questions?

If you are unsure about your answers, you can review the material again and try to understand the concepts better. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor who can clarify any confusion you have.

3. Is it important to get the correct answers to wave questions?

Yes, it is important to get the correct answers to wave questions as it shows your understanding of the material and helps you identify any areas that need improvement. Additionally, having the correct answers will also help you in future assignments or exams that may build upon this knowledge.

4. What resources can I use to check my answers to wave questions?

You can use resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study guides to check your answers to wave questions. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for additional help and clarification.

5. Can I use a calculator to check my answers to wave questions?

It depends on the type of wave questions and the instructions given. If the questions involve calculations, then a calculator may be allowed. However, if the questions test your understanding of concepts, a calculator may not be necessary or allowed. It is important to follow the instructions and guidelines provided for the specific wave questions.