Can someone please explain Relativity Theory to me in as simple terms as possible?

Jpolisa
Yes... Can someone please explain the relativity theory to me in as much simple terms as possible. It's really way in over my head. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a book-length topic. Bondi's "Relativity and Common Sense" is a good way of learning it if you can find a copy. A more modern maths-free source is "Relativity for Poets" by Ben Crowell (a former moderator here) free for download at his site https://lightandmatter.com/poets/.

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
Jpolisa said:
Can someone please explain the relativity theory to me in as much simple terms as possible.
It's impossible to explain SR simply in a few forum posts. Have you tried googling for videos on "simple explanation of relativity", or similar. There's lots of them. You just need to find one that's pitched at your level.

Likes FactChecker
It's hard to know what level of "understanding" you want, especially without knowing your background in math and physics. The mathematical requirements of Special Relativity and General Relativity are very different.

Fortunately, there are some simple introductions that are quick, easy and fun to read. Don't worry if they are too elementary, you can zip through them with no pain.
Look at Gamow's "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback". It also introduces other topics.
After that, you might be interested in Epstein's "Relativity Visualized" and Orzel's "How To Teach Relativity To Your Dog".

Beyond that, there are a lot of choices that have more mathematics. I will leave it to others who have more expertise to recommend those.

Likes topsquark
Jpolisa said:
Yes... Can someone please explain the relativity theory to me in as much simple terms as possible. It's really way in over my head. Thanks.
The speed of light is invariant across all inertial reference frames.

The classical, Newtonian concepts of space and time must be revised.

Classical equations for a particle's momentum and kinetic energy must be replaced by relativistic equations.

In the everyday world of speeds much less than the speed of light, the differences between Newtonian physics and SR are generally too small to be measured. Newtonian physics remains valid as a good approximation to SR in many areas of applicability.

For a deeper understanding consult a good introductory textbook.

Likes Ibix
Jpolisa said:
Can someone please explain the relativity theory to me in as much simple terms as possible. It's really way in over my head.
This is much too broad a question for a PF thread. As others have said, you need to take the time to work through a good textbook. Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is often recommended.

Likes Vanadium 50
This thread is now closed due to the OP question being too broad. Thanks to all who responded.

Likes topsquark