Can someone please explain to me what Performance Factor is?

In summary, the concept of "performance factor" is used in the theory of forced oscillation and resonance. It is defined as Q=m\omega_{0}/b with m as the mass, \omega_{0} as the natural frequency, and b as the damping constant. When weak damping is assumed, Q equals the amplitude at resonance and is inversely proportional to the width of the resonance curve.
benedictes
Can someone please explain to me what "Performance Factor" is?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but as the title implies I need someone to explain to me what the concept of "performance factor" is. I'm not sure if that's the correct english phrase I'm looking for, but that's how my dictionary translated it. In norwegian it would be "godhetsfaktor" if there's anyone from Scandinavia here...

The phrase come to use in the theory of forced oscillation and resonance. My teacher defined it to be [tex]Q=m\omega_{0}/b[/tex] with [tex]m[/tex] as the mass, [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] as the natural frequency and [tex]b[/tex] as the damping constant. We assume weak damping thus [tex]\delta=b/2m<<\omega_{0}[/tex] and the amplitude is max when [tex]\omega\approx\omega_{0}[/tex].

He also said [tex]Q[/tex] equals the amplitude at resonance and is inversely proportional to the width of the resonance curve.

Does this simply imply that [tex]Q[/tex] is a ratio that describe forced oscillation? "Just a number" that tells us if the resonance curve is narrow and tall or wide and low?

If I look at the graphs for these two cases, I can easily, and probably wrongfully, imagine that the tall curve represent a less damped oscillation than the low and wide one. Am I wrong to do this? Since we assumed weak damping in the beginning I mean..

Could someone please clarify a thing or two here for me? Got my mid-semester exam coming up waaay too soon...:s

Thanks a bunch!

--

Benedicte

Physics news on Phys.org

benedictes said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but as the title implies I need someone to explain to me what the concept of "performance factor" is. I'm not sure if that's the correct english phrase I'm looking for, but that's how my dictionary translated it. In norwegian it would be "godhetsfaktor" if there's anyone from Scandinavia here...

The phrase come to use in the theory of forced oscillation and resonance. My teacher defined it to be [tex]Q=m\omega_{0}/b[/tex] with [tex]m[/tex] as the mass, [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] as the natural frequency and [tex]b[/tex] as the damping constant. We assume weak damping thus [tex]\delta=b/2m<<\omega_{0}[/tex] and the amplitude is max when [tex]\omega\approx\omega_{0}[/tex].

He also said [tex]Q[/tex] equals the amplitude at resonance and is inversely proportional to the width of the resonance curve.

Does this simply imply that [tex]Q[/tex] is a ratio that describe forced oscillation? "Just a number" that tells us if the resonance curve is narrow and tall or wide and low?

If I look at the graphs for these two cases, I can easily, and probably wrongfully, imagine that the tall curve represent a less damped oscillation than the low and wide one. Am I wrong to do this? Since we assumed weak damping in the beginning I mean..

Could someone please clarify a thing or two here for me? Got my mid-semester exam coming up waaay too soon...:s

Thanks a bunch!

--

Benedicte

Welcome to PF.

Would this be related to Q-Factor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor#Physical_interpretation_of_Q

Related to Can someone please explain to me what Performance Factor is?

What is Performance Factor?

Performance Factor is a measure of an individual's or organization's performance relative to a specific goal or standard. It can be calculated by dividing the actual performance by the expected performance.

Why is Performance Factor important?

Performance Factor is important because it allows for the evaluation and comparison of performance in different areas. It can also help identify areas for improvement and set realistic goals for future performance.

How is Performance Factor calculated?

Performance Factor is calculated by dividing the actual performance by the expected performance. For example, if an individual's expected performance is 80% and their actual performance is 90%, their Performance Factor would be 90/80= 1.125 or 112.5%.

What factors can affect Performance Factor?

There are many factors that can affect Performance Factor, such as individual skills and abilities, resources available, external influences, and level of effort put forth. It is important to consider all these factors when evaluating performance.

How can Performance Factor be improved?

Performance Factor can be improved by setting realistic goals, providing necessary resources and support, recognizing and addressing any areas of weakness, and consistently monitoring and evaluating performance. Communication and feedback are also important in improving Performance Factor.