Can someone walk me through nuclear fission?

In summary, nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is split into smaller fragments, releasing a large amount of energy. This process is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity and in nuclear weapons to create explosions. It involves a chain reaction, where one fission event triggers multiple subsequent fission events. The process of nuclear fission is highly controlled and regulated to prevent accidents and the release of harmful radiation.
jonatron5
Its been a long time since I've studdied chemistry, I used to have a pretty decent understanding of it, but I've forgotten some of it.

I remember that the energy produced from a fission reaction has to do with the number of bonds being broken, and that bonding energy released is obscenely high which is why most fission reactions are performed with complex elements becuase they have more bonds to break, and are natrually unstable.

But what is this concept of critical mass? How does a fission chain reaction start? What makes one perticular element a better fissile fuel?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonatron5 said:
Its been a long time since I've studdied chemistry, I used to have a pretty decent understanding of it, but I've forgotten some of it.

I remember that the energy produced from a fission reaction has to do with the number of bonds being broken, and that bonding energy released is obscenely high which is why most fission reactions are performed with complex elements becuase they have more bonds to break, and are natrually unstable.

But what is this concept of critical mass? How does a fission chain reaction start? What makes one perticular element a better fissile fuel?
Yes, it has been a long time for you.

The first thing you must do is wrap your head around the idea that fission is not a chemical process at all, but a nuclear one. The amount of energy released in a fission reaction has nothing to do whatsoever with any chemical bonds being broken. In a fission reaction, the nucleus of the fissile atom is split into at least two smaller atomic fragments, which also means that one element is split into two other elements.

Why don't you read up on fission and then come back with any questions on stuff which may not be clear to you?

This is a good article with which to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fission

Hyperphysics has some good articles.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/nucstructcon.html#c1
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/fiscon.html#c1

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/u235chn.html#c1

A critical mass is a configuration that maintains a chain reaction. A neutron source is used to initiate 'controlled' chain reaction.

Critical (k = 1) means that the power is constant. Supercritical (K > 1) means that power (or neutron population) is increasing, and subcritical means (k < 1) means power is decreasing, or constant but requires an external source.

Likes Fervent Freyja
I didnt mean chemical bonds. I ment the bonds of the nucleus of the atom

jonatron5 said:
I didnt mean chemical bonds. I ment the bonds of the nucleus of the atom
Not sure what you mean there.

The binding energy of the original nucleus is greater than the total binding energy of the daughter nuclei resulting from fission. It is this difference in binding energy which is released when an atom is split.

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

2. How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission is triggered by the absorption of a neutron by a heavy atom, such as uranium or plutonium. This causes the nucleus to become unstable and split into two smaller nuclei, releasing additional neutrons and energy.

3. What is the purpose of nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants. The energy released during the fission process heats water, which then produces steam to turn turbines and generate electricity.

4. What are the risks associated with nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission can release harmful radiation and radioactive waste, which can have detrimental effects on human health and the environment if not properly managed. There is also the risk of accidents and potential for the production of nuclear weapons using fission technology.

5. Are there any alternative methods of generating nuclear energy?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as nuclear fusion, which involves combining small nuclei to form a larger nucleus, and does not produce as much radioactive waste as fission. However, fusion technology is still in its early stages and is not yet commercially viable for energy production.